Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 HELP I NEED TO IDENTIFY THIS ANIMAL ASAP >

HELP I NEED TO IDENTIFY THIS ANIMAL ASAP

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HELP I NEED TO IDENTIFY THIS ANIMAL ASAP

Old 06-10-2004, 02:29 AM

Default HELP I NEED TO IDENTIFY THIS ANIMAL ASAP

Earlier today my dobermans were raising hell outsiode.
I went outside and heard ALOT of running through the bushes.
Tonight I pulled into my driveway to find 6 small dog/cat like creatures in my driveway.
Maybe as big as a fox, but LOOKED like a cat with a very long skinny tail, very bushy fur, and RED and BROWN striped.
They looked like a red and brown zebra.
In almost 20 years of hunting I have NEVER seen these kinds of animal before, they were NOT foxes or coyotes.
IF they were some form of wild cat then they were genetically all screwed up. I live in Charlotte NC on the outskirts in 29 acres of VERY heavily wooded land.
When I pulled in they didnt run, they stood there making like, yelping noises?
I honked the honr they didnt move, I layed on the horn for almost 10 seconds and they WALKED into the bushes.
WTF kind of animal is that???
Old 06-10-2004, 04:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: HELP I NEED TO IDENTIFY THIS ANIMAL ASAP

Whatever they are turn the Dobies loose on them , I'll bet they run then !
Old 06-10-2004, 05:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Did they look something like this?

Old 06-10-2004, 05:53 AM
Dominant Buck

I know you've been told not to drink that home made NC Mountain Dew. But NOooooooooooo... you had to find out for yourself.[8D]

Short of that, it sounds like some sort of exotic South American/Central American kitty kat and family on the loose. I can't imagine that many would have lasted so long without an accidental kill on a highway or something. I doubt a migration.... maybe more like an escape from someone or some place.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:25 AM

Maybe some type of coatimundi. Maybe a family chewed through their cage and escaped from somewhere?
Old 06-10-2004, 06:35 AM

Did it look like this????

I had a similar experience at my lease one day. I saw a creature run back & forth across the road three times before it ran off into the brush. I was about 70-80 yards away though. I ain't got a clue of what it was, but this was the closest thing I could find on the net.
To add to the whole thing, when I was tellin my buddy about it, I mentioned that it looked sort of like a monkey walkin on all fours. You can imagine what happens around the campfire now with 10 or 12 B.S.'ers!
Old 06-10-2004, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

You got me on this one !

nubo
Old 06-10-2004, 06:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Off spring from the N.E. get together
Old 06-10-2004, 06:57 AM

Definitely sounds like a coatamundi. Very similar in behavior to raccoons .. but even more daring in my experience. Down in Panama it was always funny to wait till a couple jumped into the dumpster behind the barracks, then shut the door to lock them in ... and when the next unsuspecting Marine went to dump his trash .... never failed to make us cry laughing!

I was not aware they were in NC, but I do know they are in Texas ... so it's not that unreasonable to think there could be some in NC. Keep your trash can lids tight!

Old 06-10-2004, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Could it be......Garfield!!!???

It sounds to me like a Ringtailed Cat. Normally they are out west but they do like the type of habitat that your in.

If you lived in Madagascar I would say it would be a lemur. But obviously that isn't the case.

Could it be that the football team brought in a new mascot?

Quick Reply: HELP I NEED TO IDENTIFY THIS ANIMAL ASAP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.