Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pendulum sights

Old 06-08-2004, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default Pendulum sights

Hi I was wondering if pendulum sights work good in the cold. I dont shoot one but I was wondering if anyone has shot them in the cold "below freezing" and how did they work. I would think they would freeze and stick or am I wrong.

Thanks-Bobby
Old 06-08-2004, 10:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Pendulum sights

My buddy shoots one and has no problem in the freezing weather. He also has the biggest buck of all of us. It took #1 that year in the state.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:24 AM

I have used the KELLER, going on 20 years now.NEVER had it freeze up,,but then I have never hunted in freezing rain,so,,,,
Old 06-10-2004, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive never had a problem with my Savage freezing up.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been using pedulums for 20yrs or so.never had a problem freezing up.the cover`s that are on these type sights keep that from happening at lest thats the idia i have hunted in extrem cold weather and freezing rain no prombem`s yet!
Old 06-11-2004, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL sorry for the spelling!
Old 06-23-2004, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

I never had that happen but I will tell you make sure you are up off the ground at least 15 ft or the pin won't swing out like it shhould. I hunted out of a friends ladder stand once and the stand was only 8ft off the ground (I've since found out he is afraid of heights) and had a thick 8pt rack come and stop at 18 yds. I picked up the bow , drew back on him and never saw my pin. I couldn't believe what was happening. I looked around the riser and saw that the pin was lying flat. It then hit me why....... Not high enough! I could have shot at him by looking down the shaft but chose to let him go becuz he was a trophy and didn't want to risk a miss hit.

Moral of the story............never hunt a stand that you didn't put up or get rid of the pendulum sight. I got rid of the sight!
Old 06-23-2004, 07:48 AM

I have been using the Cobra pedulum for the last 2 years here in Maine. I have hunted in December with it in some very cold conditions and never had a problem. Stand hight should not affect the sight in anyway. I recomend pendulums to all my friends, the ones who have tried them are still using them.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

I disagree with you about stand height. In the directions for the Kellerher sights they tell you you must be 12ft off the ground for the pendulum to swing. Try it hold your bow straight out with the pendulum free to swing and look at the pin it will be lying flat, now dip your bow arm to about 45 deg. the sight now swings up into the sight picture. So if your holding your bow arm straight out and the deer is on the plane/level as you there is no downward angle to make the pendulum swing. Also, that is why you can lock the pendulum in the up postion for shooting on the ground.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:26 AM

That may be true, but I use my Cobra for target practice on the ground, which includes shooting at targets from a variety of different elevations from gullies to slight depressions and have never had an issue. I'll try setting up a stand in my yard at 8 or 10 feet and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Pendulum sights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.