Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 MORNING ROUTINE (for the hardcore scent guys) >

MORNING ROUTINE (for the hardcore scent guys)

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

MORNING ROUTINE (for the hardcore scent guys)

Old 06-05-2004, 07:54 AM

Default MORNING ROUTINE (for the hardcore scent guys)

I have a mrning prehunt routine I always do. It's like clock work. I was all my clothes in the scent free stuff the night before. I leave those in the dryer or a sealed plastic bin with apples. As soon as I wake up I stumble to the shower and use the scent body and shampoo wash. Use scent deodorant then dry off with a scentfree washed towel. Then I go downstairs, put on my first layer of clothes (depending on temp) and bring the rest to my truck in the bins. I spray down my truck seat and drive there in my socks or sneakers. Once I'm there I spray all my equipment down, myself, boots, and the rest of my clothes. For all you hardcore scent guys do you see something wrong with the routine? If you think it's overkill...save it. I see more mature bucks than most and nobody is gonna tell me to do any less.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: MORNING ROUTINE (for the hardcore scent guys)

I don't follow as strict a routine as you do Cfd but I do shower in the morning with scent free soap and shampoo and I do spray all my gear down before I go into the wood's and I see my share of good deer as well even when I don't .
But I do have friend's who do absolutely nothing and see many deer as well ,so I don't know what to say.I guess it's up to you whether you think it work's. I'm up in the air with this one, I don't have any strong proof that it work's or that it doesn't .I'll continue to do this and I don't bring my outerware in the house at all during hunting season I leave it in my truck in a container with pine brow's until I'm putting it on and as for the boot's they stay in the truck as well until I go to the bush but everything get's sprayed before I go into the bush .
Old 06-05-2004, 08:55 AM

I do all of the above,but playing the wind is the best way stay scent free.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:40 AM

Ate-Up...I agree BUT there are those times when that unexpected front moves in or the big boy comes from where you didn't expect. That's why I do what I do so I don't have to rely so much on the wind.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

fdjay,
your routine is exactly like mine. Alot of guys I ghave talked to didn't think about washing the towel in scent free soap. They would go to all that trouble then dry off with a towel washed in regular detergent. One thing that I will add to your routine. My wife, daughter and even the dog know that after my scent free shower everyone is off limits from touching me. I know that it seems real hardcore, but like you, i get really close to alot of deer all the time so I am not gonna change it.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Same here, I do nearly the same routine as cfdjay and Proff, but I'll take it a step further.
Blinds, calls, decoy, and stands etc sit in the back yard and get sprayed down twice a day with baking soda and water solution for a week before they go in the field. I keep a sock full of baking soda in my bow case and a sock full in the back of my Tahoe where I keep the equipment. I have a tub for each type of field wear and garbage sacks for when I remove them. My friend Philbert8 gargles with peroxide also before leaving the truck.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:15 AM

cfdjay/you sound like a real commited hunter. When you have success like you have experienced it reenforces your morning routine. Stick to your routine if it works for you. Good clean hunting, my friend and don't forget to thank God for your health, every day.
Old 06-05-2004, 02:03 PM

That's a great idea with the sock of baking soda. I will give that a try this season!! As for the gargling, I forget that I will gargle with vanilla extract.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

Something I didn't see mentioned and is often overlooked is the fact that your washer and dryer are used by your family and their scented soaps all year. At least one month before season we switch to a non scented detergant and don't use fabric softner or dryer sheets. Would be nice to keep it that way all year but you know
Old 06-06-2004, 02:15 AM
Fork Horn

cfdjay I go a few steps further than you. I do not was my cloths but once a weekend unless I swet extremely heavy. Then I was wash it in my sent free stuff [always running a load with nothing but hot water and my sent free stuff to get the smell of other detergent out of there and also running the dryer empty while cloths are being washed.]. I also start washing in my sent free stuff 30 days before season starts,i also go to sent free deoderant. When I wash my hunting cloths I use sent free and baking soda.

During hunting season I wear completely seperate cloths {washed in sent free} that I change when I get to the woods. I always were sent lock and rubber boots.

When the cold weather comes along I carry like 3 totes of cloths and change into my long johns when I get to the site.

I once read an artical by I believe Dick Idol {not exactly sure}, but he used clorifill pills and also a drug that is used by people with colostomy bags for smell. These pills helped take away the human smell. I am trying to find them this year.

Quick Reply: MORNING ROUTINE (for the hardcore scent guys)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.