Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you shoot

Old 01-02-2002, 09:59 AM

Default RE: Would you shoot

I'm with Dave on this one, although I don't shoot spikes or buttons. In my part of the country if I only took 125's or better I'd still be scoreless after 20+ years in the woods.

Turc
Old 01-02-2002, 10:57 AM

THE SMALLEST I'D SHOOT WOULD BE A 4 POINT BUCK
Old 01-02-2002, 10:57 AM

THE SMALLEST I'D SHOOT WOULD BE A 4 POINT BUCK
Old 01-02-2002, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

For several years now, I've held out for MATURE deer. For bucks, they must be 8 points or better with plenty of mass, width, tine length. Does must be over 100 lbs. dressed weight (est.). I've seen lots of deer this season, but most didn't make my self-imposed minimums.
Old 01-02-2002, 12:56 PM

davidmil has two good posts, couldnt have said it better.
Old 01-02-2002, 03:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Freedom to choose. It doesn't get any better.

If I am new to the sport, I can shoot one with antlers. Period. After having done that a few times I can hold out if I choose, for a bigger body, or more points, etc.

I love to hear about guys that shoot nothing unless they get a clean shot at an animal that is of certain specifications. That is a sign of a guy that is challenging himself. Hunting bucks has moved to a whole new level for him.

I also appreciate how someone can say "I love the smell of venison on the grill." That's equally as rewarding for that person.
I shoot does to fit that bill.

It's also a regional thing. Pass on a buck in Pennsylvania, and he won't go too far before the next guy makes a different decision. That's their choice.

I am at the "outside the ears" stage, I guess. I've been letting quite a few walk.

No matter what happens, I just love being in the stand.

Old 01-02-2002, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

Same as 5 shot! I hunt on our lease where we have the 3 point rule. wouldn't shoot anything smaller even if they were legal. down in the NWR i hunt, anything
with spikes over 2" long is legal, and would take a spike for the meat.
Old 01-02-2002, 06:03 PM

Fork or bigger for a buck.
Will shoot a big doe in a heart beat.
I love meat.

Hunting is nature.
It is our nature to hunt.
I'm not a hunting fanatic just a hunting addict.
Old 01-02-2002, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

ANY LEGAL MATURE DEER ? MAYBE AFTER I GET MY FIRST WHITETAIL WITH A BOWI WILL BECOME SELECTIVE.
Old 01-02-2002, 07:40 PM

first off living in new jersey the regulations go by zone doesnt matter if your on public or private property. the rule and legal antler sizes vary within zones. the zones i hunt are QDM and "earn a buck" zones. what the basicly means is you have to take a doe before shooting a buck, and if you do see a buck he has to have atleast 3 points on one side of his antlers. iv'e passed on 5 or 6 shots on legal little bucks this year, ive seen what else is out there and i dont want to waste my one buck a season on a 5 point.

Quick Reply: Would you shoot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.