Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Judging distance in your stand >

Judging distance in your stand

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Judging distance in your stand

Old 05-22-2004, 11:03 AM

Default Judging distance in your stand

I used to know how to do this, but I forgot.[] You find the "legs" of the triangle to find the unknown side. This would be helpful for me because if I'm a few yards off, I will miss the kill zone. How do you do that? I think you do something like A2+B2=C2 devide by 2. I'm not sure though. That way I could see how high I am, and how far away the deer is from the ground and plug it in, and estimate how far the deer is at what angle.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:22 AM

Default RE: Judging distance in your stand

Ugh...Hunting is NOT supposed to be an algebra course.

What I plan on doing this year is taking my 3D target TO my stand and practicing from there. Shoot at any possible entry and exit and anywhere inbetween that the deer might stop. That way I won't have to judge the yardage, I'll already know it.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:47 AM
Spike

Geometry.

Dayton
Old 05-22-2004, 12:18 PM

Zak pace off some know distances and mark them with flagging tape or some thing you can see from your stand. Do this in a circle around your tree in 4 locations and you will know that the deer is in your kill zone. It will give you a reference point that you can go by for longer shots. Take mental notes of tree's and brush while your in your stand and guess at the yardage and pace it off after your hunt this will help also. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:56 PM

"if you learn one thing in college learn a2 + b2 = c2" (AKA the Pythagoras Theorem) So said my college prof. Now all these years later it comes back to haunt me with in of all places hunting...

I use a piece of rope marked at 10,20,30, and 40. I set that from the base of tree and use range markers. Stakes painted to match my sight pins. Radiat out 3 directions and you can pretty much cover everything.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:40 PM

HOW FAR UP IN A TREE DO YOU PLAN ON BEING? UNLESS YOU PLAN ON EXCEEDING 25 FEET YOU REALLY DON'T HAVE THAT MUCH CHANGE IN YOUR SHOT DUE TO ELEVATION. IF YOU DO IT MIGHT ONLY BE A COUPLE OF INCHES LOW TO COMPENSATE. BUT DEFINATELY DO WHAT OTHERS HERE HAVE SAID, GET OUT ON STAND AND SHOOT AT TARGETS AT VARIOUS DISTANCES TO SEE WHAT THE ELEVATION DOES TO YOUR SHOT.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

In reality if you miss after misjudging by only two yards then you must be throwing watermellons or something. With most setups today you can sight in for 25 yards and shoot anything within 30 yards without holding high or low. Just aim at the middle of the vitals and execute the shot. I know, I do it that way.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Range finders dont work in tree stands???
Old 05-22-2004, 08:34 PM
Typical Buck

I was always told, & it seems to hold true, that the level or horizontal distance is what matters. 20 yards looks farther when 20' up a tree but I'v paced off 20 yards & climbed into a tree & hit my mark. It seems the closer the target gets to the tree I have to start aiming lower & the farther away the less it matters. I think the hardest part is estimating distance from in a tree. Good advice is given above, practice from a tree, pace off distances around your stand and or buy a range finder.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use a savage pendilium site and you will be right on target all the time from 0to 30yards . Inside 30 yards no gessing, just put pin on deer and shoot. GREAT TREESTAND SITE been useing one for 7 years no problems!

Quick Reply: Judging distance in your stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.