Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how far will they go >

how far will they go

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how far will they go

Old 05-16-2004, 08:31 PM

Default how far will they go

how far do deer you've shot usually go? i have a stand this year that is boardering up against a road and somebody elses property, and im worried about the deer running across the road or into somebodies back yard. last year i shot a doe and she only went about 45-50 yards before going down, but i've heard stories about deer going 200-300 yards before finally going down after being shot by a bow.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:57 PM

Default RE: how far will they go

Every deer ive shoot has gone down withen 60 yards. Bow and rifle.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even the perfect shot can sometimes go bad, not saying it will. I just worry about murphy's law. Every time I chance it, it bites me in the butt. Even with a perfect shot deer can go 100 or more yards, most don't but they can.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you put a solid hit thru both lungs,chances are very good you'll watch it drop or hear it go down with 60-70 yds.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:51 PM

I would not place any money on how far a lethally hit deer will be able run. Deer have not yet been told they are supposed to drop within a certain distance when the hit is fatal.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never had a double lung hit deer go more than 50yds but i've had heart shot deer run well past 100yds.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Generally they are down withing 75 yds. But like someone said you can never garuntee how far that deer will run. I also think that when hit the deer is probably going to head where it feels safest, so unless there is a "safe" bedding type area across the road or thru those yards, it probably won't run out there when hit.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

i was hunting with a frend and his deer ran about 1 mile to a small pond
Old 05-17-2004, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: mattisbob

i was hunting with a frend and his deer ran about 1 mile to a small pond

Chances are that this animal was pushed, either by early blood trailing or another factor such as predation....a mortally hit animal rarely goes more than 250 yards before bedding....if let alone, ie human or predator(coyote) pressure, said animal will usually be found in said bed.....now, the mortality of the hit varies...like mentioned above, double lunged hit deer are usually seen or at least heard go down. Heart hit animals can and will travel farther but rarely unfindable, liver and gut shot animals as well as major blood vessel hit animals, though lethal can travel much much further but will again, usually bed within 250 yards of the hit and be found there....AGAIN, if left alone to expire.

Yes, there are exceptions but this would be the norm.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:33 AM

I've only had 1 deer make it more than 100 Yds. from where it was shot. Most pile up about 50 to 75 yards from the site of impact.

I will admit that the one deer that ran more than 100 yards was unrecovered.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.