Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Nothin' but words..... >

Nothin' but words.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nothin' but words.....

Old 05-10-2004, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Nothin' but words.....

Great answer AK, one more to the list could be Dedicated. To become a good archer, one must become dedicated to become proficient at bow hunting. I too think that quick shot is a bad answer and also feel that famous is another bad one. I judge a year by the hunts and not the harvest. Bowhunting gives me the feeling of solitude. I have harvested many animals with the bow, now my biggest thrill is to let the animal walk and knowing that it could have been a harvest. Fame in hunting carries a big burden, others that don't have success figure that something fishy is going on and you are always questioned. This takes a person back to the earlier days where hunting began as an individual sport and honing ones skills to take the personal satisfaction to a new level. It shouldn't be gauged by showing off what you have killed, but by knowing that you did it in an ethical manner to both you and the animal. Remember that in the first hunting class you take in Idaho, that ethics are what you do when nobody is around. Bringing fame into the equation will make younger hunters beleive that they HAVE to be famous. This will make them beleive that they are not proficient at hunting and could lead them to bad choices. As would making them beleive that they need to be a quick shot. I beleive that archers are much closer to nature, as you need to become part of it. Also I beleive that most are closer to a true consevationalist and study the habits closer and have more time with the animals, as you need to be to play the close up game. My greatest hunt did not involve killing an animal, but did involve coming face to face with a yearling elk. There was not one foot between my face and its. These encounters are where my satisfactions lie. I have had published articles, been on prostaffs, done field testing on archery equipment. I would trade it all for that one encounter that I experienced on that one day, coming face to face with that elk again. My satisfaction comes from within when it comes to bowhunting. I enjoy most, the days I hunt for me and no one else.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

You guys are awesome!!! This is exactly what I've been looking for to take in front of my class. I aggree with all that has been said here. There are many times that I have to play Devil's Advocate to get someone to see the other side of the coin. Trying out these different words here has been one of those times. There are words that I don't like to use as an instructor either. However, when I have a mess load of hunters backing me up it's not hard to let people know that there are some places better than others to be standing. (Metaphorically speaking.)
AK - this list will be used in my class. It defines to me what I wish every hunter could strive to be.

Elkcrazy8,
I felt as if I was sitting on the mountain experiencing one of those once in a lifetime moments as you verbalized what you did. There are many who would trade everything to be with you or experience what you did.

Thanks and keep posting your ideas!!
Old 05-11-2004, 01:22 AM

Hi Hikchick,
I would have agree 100% with AK and Elkcrazy8. But I would add to the list

*Adventurer - Every hunt is an adventure for me and I bet it's the same for every other hunter as well. I can garentee that you will experience something, if not 10 things, that you have not seen, heard or expirenced before, ever. I saw my first tree that was obliviated by lightning and split in three even pieces down to the ground while hunting a ridge top. (That gave me reason enough to not hunt with a metal bow in lightning storms )

and

*Nature Lover - Not a tree huggin nature lover, but someone who loves to be out in with nature enjoying it's beauty and everything it has to offer. Seeing what a beautiful world we live in (especially Australia ) is the main reason I go hunting. If I down a critter it's an added bonus.

Stalkin Steve
Old 05-11-2004, 06:46 AM

I believe your post was asking for words, not what we thought of your words and I agree with most here that those words don't fit into bowhunting IMO.

Words for you,
Ethical
Dedicated
Patient
Respectful
Environmentalist and conservationist are the two of your words that I agree with. My list dosn't necessarily pertain to all bowhunters but they do describe myself. As with any group there are a few bad apples out there but the type of people I hunt with demonstrate these characteristics.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ethical
Patient
Dedicated
Careful
Inquisitive
Steady
Strong
Educated

*Forgot, Accurate.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dedicated
Devoted
Intelligent
Instinctive
Focused

As for the words you listed....

Quick shot makes me thing reckless and I do not particularly care for it in relation to a description for a bowhunter.

Conservationist, to me, makes me think of someone who cares for the environment. Though I don't necessarily instantly think of the term in relation to a bowhunter I can see how it might apply.

Environmentalist...see above...though, for some reason, I do not see them as being the same entirely and can see where hunters and environmentalists are occasionally at odds on a variety of issues.

Competitive, to me, implies being competitive with other hunters which I am not. I am competitive with myself from year to year but not to the extent where I loose track of what is really important to me in hunting.

Well known seems to make me think of people like Chuck Adams, Bill Winke, Bob Foulkrod, etc....

Hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:11 AM
Dominant Buck

And one thing that's at the TOP of my list is "FUN". As a very nice lady who used to visit these sights liked to say.... "It's suppose to be fun". Her life was taken in an armed robbery at her work place about 3 years ago. She closed every post with "It's suppose to be fun". If you keep that in mind and don't get caught all up in the "I got to get a deer. I got to beat Joe. I have to shoot a Pope and Young before So & SO". It can be fun. Rejoice in the celebration and good fortune of your companions and cheer them on. Temper the celebration of your own good fortune and "Have fun". It's Not a competition.... it's a pursuit of happiness and celebration of our good fortune, great country and mother nature. Not many places in the world you have the opportunities we do to just get out and wander the woods.

As Cathy would say.... "It's suppose to be fun"!
Old 05-11-2004, 07:18 AM

In my case......two words :

Obsessive Compulsive !!

Seriously........the ones above by AK and elkcrazy sum it up !!

O.K. and now David's too !!
Old 05-11-2004, 07:18 AM
etw

In one WORD..."Caring". Ultimately we care about the animals we kill. Witness how disgruntled we become when someone does not eat ALL of the animal killed.
We care about the equipment we use. From the weight, speed and sharpness of our arrows to the use of ATV's rather than the soles of our feet. We care enough to guide the very young or the new hunter ie wear your safety belt. We are thankful that the good Lord has cared to bless us with the responsibilities in Genesis.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

etw, I have to agree about the caring. I know of know other hunting sport where so much care is given to the game and the equipment. With gun hunting you just fire the gun before the season to make sure it is still on and then go to the woods. I bet I don't shoot my rifle more then 10 shots a year and that includes at deer (one shot per season last 8 years = 8 deer). I have been shooting the bow about 30 to 40 shots 3 to 4 days a week since beginning of April. I will increase this right up until the season. I know many on this board shoot much more then I do. Yes shooting is fun but it is also because we care about the deer, turkeys and what ever else we may be hunting. That is why we strive to be the best we can be.

Quick Reply: Nothin' but words.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.