Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gut pile ?

Old 05-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default Gut pile ?

I was always told that leaveing a gut pile by your stand will mess that stantd up for a while any truth to this?
Old 05-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Gut pile ?

Other than it stinks I have had no problems my gut pile is about 20 yds from my best stand.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have not seen deer strongly react one way or the other. I can say I have shot a deer 5 days after somebody else left a gutpile under a stand. In all we shot 3 deer from that one stand in a span of 15 days. All were field dressed on the spot. It would appear that the gutpiles did not drive deer away.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

As someone who hunts in Idaho and has had lots of experience with using animals (horses) to pack things in or out, I can tell you that animals have a great sense of smell. This sense is also used as a defense mechanism. To get a horse or mule to pack out a dead animal usually takes a lot of training. The scent of a dead animal is pretty potent to another animal. The last thing I want to be smelling 2 or 3 weeks down the road as I'm hunting is rotting guts, either. It is a deterent. Except for the animals that feast on it!
Old 05-04-2004, 03:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Never seen it the next day. The critters work fast.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:12 PM

it don't matter at all, my dad shot a buck during gun season in the morning, and my cuz shot a doe with in 5 yards of it that same night (both big deer). they don't care at all. go for it

-Hoyt
Old 05-04-2004, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

never seen them last long enough to stink or mess up a hunt
Old 05-04-2004, 06:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Doesn't seem to bother the majority of the animals I've seen. It might have a bad effect on the "Bull of the Woods" but then, they're a different animal to begin with.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:14 PM

not sure about bowhunting... But in 2001 my best friend, his sister, and his father all killed bucks from the very same tree within a two day span. His dad scored first on an 8pnter right at first light, his sister later that day on a 10pnter, and Adam nailed a 9pnter the very next morning. All three were shot within 50yrds of each other and he says they seemed completely oblivious to the gut piles. All 3 were coming off the adjacent property which is heavily hunted so they may have been highly stressed which could have caused them to ignore the gut piles but ya never know.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have never witnessed any ill affects. I have even seen rutted up bucks go to an old gutpile site from a doe early in the season and make scrapes at it. I've actually used this to my advantage once to shoot a buck.

Quick Reply: Gut pile ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.