Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Any flint knappers out there? >

Any flint knappers out there?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any flint knappers out there?

Old 05-03-2004, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default Any flint knappers out there?

Just wondering if any of you guys do any knapping?
A buddy of mine got me into it a little last year!
If we get time this summer were going to make a couple of bows and our own arrows!
A great way to spend time around a camp fire!!
Old 05-03-2004, 09:27 PM
AK

Default RE: Any flint knappers out there?

Knapping is one part of traditional archery that I haven't gotten around to learning yet. I did practice a little pressure flaking the other evening, but I have a long way to go before I can make anything useful. I recently finished some viburnum arrows with sinew wrapped feathers that I'd like to hunt with in the fall. If I can put down the drawknife long enough to grab a hammerstone and antler tine, just mabey I'll have points for them in time.

Old 05-04-2004, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know a guy who does some of his own flints. From what he's said it can be some tedious work. I'm not sure if he's shot any deer with them, I don't think so.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of the members on my lease in Georgia is an excelent flint knaper . He has offered to teach me . I would love to learn , but hes about 7 hours from my residence , with my schedual I doubt I'll be doing it any time soon .
Old 05-04-2004, 06:10 AM
Dominant Buck

That would be cool. I've known a few who make their own bow but no one who makes their own arrows and heads. Can you post more info on getting started. Some how I don't think step one is break out the power tools.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

Make sure you check your State laws because I know in MN, they state that legal tips must be at least 3/4'' METAL and sharp!! Theres no dought on the sharpness of and Kapped arrow head, you should see how that stuff cutts through leather!!

As far as getting started I'd say to buy a video or find someone to show you! It would be pretty hard to learn from a book!!

Some guys do use glass grinders and such for shapeing points, makes the job alot easyer, but some consider it cheating!

I've made a few arrow heads out of different cherts and a few out of glass. Glass works almost just like obsidian!