Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Topos?

Old 04-28-2004, 10:43 AM

Default Topos?

I have tried looking at topos but i need some "professional" help studying the area i hunt. I have outlined where i can hunt on the mountain. I shot my buck near the top on the right hand side but still need help. THANKS

Old 04-28-2004, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Topos?

It's hard to say for sure what the vegetation and stuff looks like, but to me it looks like this:

A main ridge runs SW to NE in the northern half of the area. The north side of that ridge appears to be quite a bit steeper than the south side. Also on the north side of the ridge it looks like it may drop off into a bowl (which from my experiences can be a deadly place to kill anything). Many white tails really like to skirt the edge of those bowls. From that Main ridge, there appears to be a ravine that drops to the SE and dies out as it gets flatter towards the bottom. I can't tell for sure what the bottom half looks like. hope that can help a little bit. Also, on top of that ridge it looks like there may be a flat spot in the NE corner, that could be a good place for a feeding or bedding area.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:33 AM

One of the regular forum members, Dave 590 wrote a book on topo, map reading , GPS's and such. I've read the book before it was publish and it is very easy to read and understand. You may want to get a copy of his or someones book so you can use topos for all your hunting, especially if your are traveling out of state.

I agree with dwd and would add that the large bench in the NE and that draw that runs down to the stream from just west of the the bench maybe a travel area.
What is in the clear area and has the area been logged recently, if so when?
Old 04-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

What are you asking, where to hang a stand? Where are deer likley to bed, feed?

Guess it all depends on things like prevailing wind, time of day you plan to hunt, cover types, what feed is there, and also nearby on land you can't hunt. Are you hunting undisturbed deer, or are they pressured? Consider the effect of thermals on stand placement too.

Where do you access the property? Can you sketch on the trails and/or rub lines that you are aware of? Can you sketch on some cover types, like major stands or hardwoods or softwoods, etc.

Probably many other factors to consider too. More info. will help folks respond.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:23 PM

Most of the property at the bottom of the mountain is pine thickets with some trails made for tractors. The top is mostly hardwoods and the cleared area is where they sold some timber. Mostly brush piles left. Only good rub line i found was along the top( where i shot my buck) the prevailing wind is from the west. looking for a good place to hunt next fall. thanks and more questions i can claify

Old 04-29-2004, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had success with the old "high early, low late" rule of thumb. Hunt the high ground early, as bucks should be returning to their beds at or just after first light. Hopefully you can see one returning to his bed during shooting light, first thing. Also, the effect of thermal currents should carry your scent uphill, as the sun warms the air. The reverse is true toward dusk, the cooling air will fall down the hill, so position a stand below where you expect to see deer. With a prevailing wind from the west, you should access your stand from the east, and place your stand to the east of where deer are expected to be. Beyond that, you need to plan several stand sites for varying wind conditions, and different trails. Maybe even trim some shooting lanes well ahead of the season.

Scout it quickly, what I mean is move quickly through the area so you don't leave concentrated scent behind, noting where fresh sign and feed is located. If you are not seeing deer, adjust your setup accordingly. I don't like to set up close to where they bed, but I will move closer as the season progresses, if I'm not seeing deer. Also, hunt a stand a couple times, then move to a new spot. The deer will start skirting a stand site that is used frequently.

Topos are great, but once you're on the ground you'll be able to key in on features that tend to funnel deer. Sometimes that's a feature like a saddle in a ridge, or it can be related to cover type. When I walk through an area, I let the terrain "steer" me as I go. Before I know it, I'm on a deer trail. Wherever you see trail junctions, consider placing a stand there, and then plan an access route that doesn't require you to walk on the deer trail.

Sounds like you are on your way. Just be flexible, and don't lock in on a particular stand.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

Personally, I'd start my scouting on the eastern-most extension of that upslope cleared area, running over onto the bench just east of same.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:05 PM

logs,
How can I get a copy of that book? I need some help in deciphering topos also.
Thanks
Old 04-30-2004, 10:19 AM

The book is for sale on the net( Don't Get Lost by Dave Hodges) or look up Dave590 here and e-mail him. He spends time on the political and off season forum. Well written and easy to understand and well illustrated. It comes with a good topo map for practice, a grid scale and some training exercises.