Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How often to hunt the same area? >

How often to hunt the same area?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How often to hunt the same area?

Old 04-23-2004, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default How often to hunt the same area?

Just looking for some opinions on how often I should hunt in the same spot? The land I hunt is only about 80 acres with a river running through and wild grasses and a few trees on both sides, right alond the river the trees are pretty thick, besides the land I hunt you would have to go at least a mile each way to find any good dear hunting along this river. My wife and I both bow hunt!
Old 04-23-2004, 03:54 PM

Default RE: How often to hunt the same area?

It depends on the setup. If a stand is hot I will usually hang in there for a couple of days, after that sighting begin to drop. I would suggest setting up several stand sites based wind directions and rotate as much as possible. It will be hard not to ruin 80 acres, but if your careful you should be ok.

As Rack once stated, when entering and exiting always think about the effect it will have on the next hunt or the season in general. Point being, don't blow your whole season with a few dumb mistakes like hunting the wrong wind or taking a stupid entry and exit route.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

Double Creek said a mouthful. I would just like to add that sometimes depending on the property layout and deer movement, it’s better to take smaller bites. Meaning carefully and with good judgment, hunt your way threw the season towards the deer core aria. Timing your entry to the rut, time off, or the last week, your call. This is a good way to extend the life of small partials of property, if of course it can be applied affectively. Good luck this year!
Old 04-26-2004, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to stick to the outside of the land I'm hunting until the rut. Then I hunt a few times deep in the woods between and sometimes right next to bedding areas. In the early season I try to hunt a different stand each hunt. Since I only get to hunt on weekends this isnt't very hard to do. Come the following weekend I can start over the rotation. And of course it all depend on the wind direction too. And if I get busted in a stand I like to let it rest for a couple weeks.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have read several articles where the author suggests that you not visit a stand more than once on any given week even if it is really "hot" on that one occasion. Personally, I do not have the self restraint nor do the circumstances always dictate having that luxury. I would suggest no more than two to three times a week and always take the appropriate approach and scent precautions.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depending on how meticulous you are with your scent suppression and entrance and exit routes to and from stand sites...when and how you scout this area...so many variables that go into how many times you can hunt a spot..you could ruin a spot in one hunt or be able to hunt it 2-3 times per week depending on what you know about the area and how the deer use it in regards to wind and pressure.

Scout it carefully and hunt it wisely,

Shed
Old 04-27-2004, 12:46 PM
Typical Buck

This land is 80 acres but its mostly native grasses with some young trees.
I'd say mabey 7 acres of woods!

Depending on the wind I have a few stands that are really easy to get to without and or little disturbance. If the winds wrong it screws up most of my stands depending on where the deer are bedded. The deer just seem to bed almost any where out in this 6' high grass.

Our do you think they bed in the same general areas?
Old 04-27-2004, 02:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

One of the things you need to ask yourself is what kind of buck are you happy with. If you just want to shoot any buck, hunt the thing as much as you'd like, younger bucks will still give you chances, with any type of deent scent control tactics. But if you are after a big old wise deer, then you should hunt sparingly, being very caustious of you in and out route.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I only get to hunt my favorite spot about 10 days a year because it is a quite a ways away. I hunt areas around here about once every week or two.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you hunt with a ground blind i think you can use it alot more often than if you are in a stand--i feel if you set the blind up ahead of time that the deer actually get used to it.jmo.

Quick Reply: How often to hunt the same area?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.