Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what age do you think is godd to hunt by yourself >

what age do you think is godd to hunt by yourself

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what age do you think is godd to hunt by yourself

Old 04-19-2004, 08:28 AM

Default RE: what age do you think is godd to hunt by yourself

Well i had my mother dropping me off on public land at the age of 13 to go rabbit hunting.
But i did attend cub scouts,and boy scouts ,was taught proper gun safety,and first aid.
The laws in my state have changed sence then. Indiana now has hunting education courses that have to be passed in order to get a youth hunting liciense.But is better to have an adult close by in case of an emergience,or atleast a friend some where in the woods close by with a cell phone.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto what 5 shot said.
I never had anyone take me hunting. I tought myself and went when I wanted. At 14 I hunted by myself with a High powered rifle. But...like he said, different times 20 years ago.

I think in today's world...probably around 16 would be a good avg age, based on the teens I know. It really would depend on the individual.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think it all depends on the kid. I was mature metally for my age, but small physically as a kid. Our laws state you had to be accompanied my an adult until 16. My Dad felt I was mature enough to be "semi" on my own at 12. We were in sight, but all the decisions were mine to make.

Now my brother on the other hand, my dad was stuck to his side like glue, and probably still would be if my brother still hunted and he's 28
Old 04-19-2004, 03:01 PM

I started hunting on my own at 12. My Dad was usually only a couple hundred yards away and he would always wait for me to climb the tree and be there when I climbed down. After that season, I was completely on my own.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was probably 12 when I started deer hunting on my own. My skill level was different than all the other 12 years olds that I knew though. I had been going with my father religously since I was very young and my father had seen me exhibit good judgement on several occaisions so there was no doubt that I could handle myself and make competent decisions. Then again I was getting triples on a covey rise by the time I was 12 and we were hunting together 40-50 days a year and I was hanging right there with the adults. My dad was always close buy until I was 14 when I started bowhunting. Then he would take me and drop me off and come back and get me. By that time I was an accompolished duck hunter, squirrel hunter, quail hunter, dove hunter, and rabbitt hunter. I consistenly killed limits of small game if the shots presented themselves and I killed by first limit of teal 6 years earlier (anyone that has shot teal can attest to the difficulty of this task). At 14 I already had 7 duck bands a couple of long beards and enough rabitts , squirrels, dove, and quail to fill up the back end of a truck. It all depends on the experience level and majurity of the child involved.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

i went to times this year by my self[:-]
Old 04-20-2004, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Ask your grandad he will tell you when your ready.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

My dad was taking me up in the tree hunting with him when I was 5 years old. On a bear hunt in Ontario no less. So by the time I was of legal age, 12, to hunt with a bow I was more than ready. Although at first he was never very far away, and always watched me climb into my tree, and then climb out of it later. The first few times he even climbed into the tree with me to make sure I had my safety belt fastened properly.

Like most other people said - it depends on the person. There are people who are 30 years old who still shouldn't be hunting on their own, if at all.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I started when I was 12 but was never too far away from home or dad.... 16 is when I started really venturing away due to the fact I could drive then.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

My daughters only 3, legal hunting age her in MN, is 12.
I live 1/2 a mile from my dear stand, if she's comfortable going by herself her second season that would be fine by me!

Quick Reply: what age do you think is godd to hunt by yourself

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.