Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Camo comparison pics >

Camo comparison pics

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Camo comparison pics

Old 04-14-2004, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Camo comparison pics

Staying still and selecting a concealing stand site if possible, is what works for me.
Me too!
Old 04-14-2004, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing you will notice.

The pics you see on the ASAT, Predator, SticksNLimbs, etc websites are very much "normal" pictures. Taken with the "model" as anyone (or thing) would see them when encountered in the woods. Far away, in the open, sometimes close, even places where they do NOT "blend in". Example

Now go look at the MossyTree or RealOak website . You've got these beautiful airbrushed photshopped, perfect sunlight dappled pictures taken from cameramen in the trees at the same level or even above (WTF?) them looking down, or the "I'm 2 feet away, and you can see all the lovely leaf veins and dirt on the acorns..don't this tuff work good?" pics. Example

It's pretty obvious which companies are trying to sell you the camo based on how it looks, and those who are trying to sell you the camo based on how it works

I used to have several dozen pics of all brands of camo I took in "real-world" situations. Unfortunately they were lost in a move
Old 04-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Staying still and selecting a concealing stand site if possible, is what works for me.
I agree with that as well.

Why buy an inferior product when you can have much better? I won't limit myself to OK when I can have better for the same price.

You don't always have that perfect tree in that perfect spot
Old 04-14-2004, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why buy an inferior product when you can have much better? I won't limit myself to OK when I can have better for the same price.

You don't always have that perfect tree in that perfect spot
I agree...but I very rarely get picked off, and when I do....it's my fault usually because I did something stupid....not because it was an inferior product. I'm not saying the open patterns don't work...they do. Heck I'll probably buy some someday, I think they are good. It's just that some folks harp on certain things as if they are the only possible item that will allow success. Not only camo,.... bows, rests, sights, releases...you name it.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:33 PM

Let me share something that happened to me last year. I had a deer ten yards from me and I moved. The deer spotted me a froze. It then turned to look at another deer and turned back to look at me, and it lost me. I was only about 8 feet off the ground in the open view of this deer ten yards away, and it could not pick me out. It started looking around trying to find me and could not. I am convinced it is because of my cammo. It is a 3D leaf pattern that I have had for about three years now, and it works great. A deer's eyes a made to pick out movement. I agree that cammo is not something you have to have, but anything that helps at all could be the edge you need.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

What camo are you wearing this year Jeff?

I agree, of course. The "at eye level" pics commonly seen with Realtree and Mossy Oak do not trully represent the angle that a deer is going to be viewing a hunter from.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's a great point Jeff........I know alot of the ASAT/Predator pics we are using are website pics, but they are as "What you see is what you get" as you are going to find........various angles distances, lighting conditions etc. They look like what you or I would take with our own cameras. I don't think Chuck at ASAT is hiring any models or photo companies to take a bunch of glamour shots.......I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the "Model" in some of those pics wasChuck's 9yr old son Cameron. ( I can hear him now: 'Come on Dad I'm cold') By the way, maybe the BIGGEST 9yr old kid you'll ever see.[:-]

The "Mossy Tree" "Real Oak" (funny by the way) is often close enough in the pics that you can read the LOGO on the pattern, in EXACTLY complimentary foliage etc. Some of the pictures you can even tell that color filters are used. And your right........I can buy a picture of a guy at eye level on the ground at a bit of distance for comparison sake, but eye level in a tree? (Ok sometimes you can get this on hillsides) but like your example.......looking down? what?

I agree that any camo will work very well in certain cover, lighting ,or back drops when it is all boiled down.......I prefer to have one that will break up my rather large outline and blend in to as many settings,colors and terrains as possible.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

What camo are you wearing this year Jeff?
Depends. 'Round my house with all the Anti's in the area, I tend to go with Advantage or RT just because it's harder for those jacka$$es to pick me out while they are sipping a latte on their deck [:@] I found this out the first year I moved up here and wore Predator Grey(I hunt on the ground). They know they cannot actually hinder me, so they scream and walk to edge of their property and bang trashcans and the like Fun, I assure you.

If I get permission again to hunt the place I had last year on a fairly large tract of private land, I'll be wearing some form of open pattern..most likely Predator Deception or Fall Brown..possibly an ASAT 3D suit to wear over my RT if I cannot find the exact clothes I want in Predator.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:45 PM

How about some Mossy OAK.

Old 04-14-2004, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

buckeyebuckhntr,

Thanks for posting the pics. I posted about ASAT in the gear review forum and asked someone to post pics and Ausie-guy replied. Good Ole' reliable Ausie guy, Anyway I like the way you compared the different camo patterns.

Quick Reply: Camo comparison pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.