Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 30% of hunters fall out of their treestands >

30% of hunters fall out of their treestands

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

30% of hunters fall out of their treestands

Old 04-06-2004, 12:28 PM

Default 30% of hunters fall out of their treestands

How many of you have ever fallen out of your treestand? On my summit treestand instructional video Tom Miranda said that 30% of all hunters fall out of their treestand. That is 3 out of every 10 hunters, or about 1 out of 3 hunters. I climb on pine trees. Are these safe to climb on with my Viper XLS treestand?
Old 04-06-2004, 12:31 PM

Default RE: 30% of hunters fall out of their treestands

I have never fallen out of my stand.

Pines should be safe due to the fact that they are soft wood and your stand digs in a bit more.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:34 PM

Haven't fallen yet.

That # sounds a bit high but I guess if you think about the days w/ the ol' Baker stands and how many people fell from them - it may be right.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:35 PM
Typical Buck

Haven't fallen yet, 'course if I ever actually got into one of the damned things, maybe my odds would go up.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:40 PM

The next poster is do for a fall!
Old 04-06-2004, 12:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes, I have taken the firemans slide to the bottom before. Several factors were involved and I blame myself for it. I did a string of no-no's. I won't go into them here. What I will say is the stand performed as designed and crushed to absorb my weight. I still hunted that day with the stand. After that hunt the factory sent me a brand new replacement.

I don't like pines to climb because of the shedding properties of the bark and the mess. I realize down south it seems 9 out of 10 trees are pines so you can't always avoid them. I love populars because of their constant diameter up to 30'. The however are slick and become even slicker when wet. I guess my overall favorite would be hickory because of the consitent diameter and not to slick when wet.

The important thing to remember is to use your safety belt while in the tree. I know I should use it while climbing up but I feel it gets in the way and only use it as I feel it is needed (usually when wet). I always use it while sitting in the stand. You never know when you will loose you balance standing up, shooting,falling a sleep or taking a pee (right Benhuntin). Coming back down I do the intentional fireman's slide to the bottom.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:16 PM

I havent fallen out of my stand yet, but I took about an 7 foot fall climbing up into my stand. Never trust tree branches.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:27 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-06-2004, 01:40 PM

Its been over 6 yrs since I have climbed anything but a pine. My summit has never slipped in the 3 yrs I have used them, nor has any other stand.

I have never fallen out of a stand
Old 04-06-2004, 01:44 PM

I've fallen.

The 1/3 is a valid number according to NBEF.

Quick Reply: 30% of hunters fall out of their treestands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.