Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let's hear about your first bow  kill........ >

Let's hear about your first bow kill........

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let's hear about your first bow kill........

Old 04-02-2004, 11:45 AM

Default Let's hear about your first bow kill........

Times are slow and this should be interesting.

Here goes mine:

October 1991... Fitler, Mississippi, I'm 14 at the time. I'm hunting a large cottonwood tree plantation that has several hardwood ditches and hedgerows running through it. My Dad and I find a pin oak tree that the deer are absolutely hammering, thousands of tracks under it with rubs, scrapes, crap, etc. As always my Dad immediatley offers me the spot and we hang my loggy bayou climber. I ease up to about 18-20ft and tie myself in. My Dad goes on further down to another tree and climbs. A couple of hours pass without any action and then I hear one coming. Man my heart is pumping out of my chest, my knees are knocking and I am entering the first stages of "bow fever". Finally, a nice doe eases in and begins eating acorns. It doesn't take long and I am offered a 15yd shot broadside. I draw aim and release and smack, right through the boiler room, the doe runs about 90yds and I see her go down and hear her thrashing in the brush. When my Dad shows up at dark I relay the story and he is excited beyond belief. In short order we follow the blood trail to my first bow kill and what a trophy it was to me!!!
Old 04-02-2004, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Let's hear about your first bow kill........

November 1988.....Brookings, AR. I am 14 at the time. I am hunting a large block of timber that adjoins the Black River. The woods are primarily comprised of oak, hackberry, and persimmon but the deer seem to be keying in on the soybeans that are still in the field, adjacent to the woods. My father and I hunted everything but he did not bowhunt so a friend of his helped me pick the spot and set up a ladder stand. I was about about 20 yards inside the woods setup on a well used train that crossed a large drainage ditch that seperated the field from the woods. It was about an hour before dark and I was passing the time when I looked up and saw this huge buck coming. The buck kept coming and walked by my stand at about 12 yards. I drew my old Hoyt Pro Hunter and released. The buck hit the ground like a ton of bricks. I had spine shot him. The deer wasn't dead yet and I didn't have a knife. I didn't want to mess my dad's friend up, so I jogged the 2 miles back to the cabin to get my dad. My dad was outside when I got there and said he already knew when I got there that I had killed a deer. I asked him how he knew and he said "he could hear me smiling" Needless to say, we were both stoked and I got my first lesson in ground shrinkage (it's the cousin to cold shrinkage[:-]) when I found out that my deer was just a 4 pt. Oh well, he looked huge when I first saw him
Old 04-02-2004, 12:29 PM

December 5, 2002: I have a group of 6-7 deer pass near me. One is the monster, high-racked 10 pt that I really want. Unfortunately, he passes behind a bunch of brush that I can't shoot through at 30 yards. Trailing that group is an average doe who doesn't go behind the brush. She feeds all around my stand and offers a 20 yard shot. It is late and I don't see the twig in front of her that deflects the arrow to a gut shot. She doesn't go anywhere because she didn't hear my super-quiet bow. She meanders over and offers me a 25 yard shot, which I nail through the heart. I can't believe she gave me two shots, much less that I was calm enough to take the second one. She went 10 yards and was down, no thrashing at all.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:36 PM

comndr45, that is unusual, I've never gotten a second shot , on one I hit anyway[8D]

Good job keeping your wits and followiing through on the second

Hey SA, nothing like those soybean fields!!!!!!!! I have had some awesome hunts around those babies!!
Old 04-02-2004, 12:37 PM
Fork Horn

I go back a little further. I was 16 and it was Oct.15, 1970 when I was taking my new girlfriend out bowling with me and we had about an hour before dark so I asked her if she wanted to go set in a ground blind with me to hunt for deer. She was anti-hunting at the time but she probably figured nobody ever gets a deer with a bow anyway. After about 20 mins. 2 doe came out in the corner of the clover field and I made a 30 yd. shot on the lead doe putting her down within 10 yds. She wasn't too impressed except she kept saying she never saw anybody so happy. It must have worked out OK since we've been married 32 yrs. now!
Old 04-02-2004, 12:40 PM

It must have worked out OK since we've been married 32 yrs. now!
That is a matter of opinion Ever think about where you would be now if you would have missed [8D]
Old 04-02-2004, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oct 14, 2000. 16 at the time. I'm sitting 20 feet up on an oak ridge and a single doe goes by at about 27 - 28 yards. I pass the shot, not being completely comfortable at that range yet. About 10 minutes later I hear a crash and nearly jump out of the stand. I slowly turn and see a buck headed my way. At 15 yards, I take a shot and hit him right through the lungs. The deer only runs about 10 yards and being inexperienced, I take another shot at 20 yards. Another double lung. This time the deer makes a dead sprint and goes down in about 40 yards. All this happened in a matter of seconds. I wait 10 minutes (the hardest part), and climb down and get my 3 point trophy.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

Early november,1987. Northern WI. I was 12 and my father told me that if I could kill a deer with his old recurve then he would buy me a compound.Well, anyway, I was up a large pine tree, standing on a branch, and a 3-pointer came by and I shot him high in the back . I was so exited I could have wet myself. I climbed down when it started snowing (you know those really big flakes). I had about 30 minutes before dark, so with snow cover I thought I would track him a little ways. I was following the blood and happened to look up and saw what I thought was a log, but turned out to be my buck! I couldn't wait to tell my father who was hunting only about 150 yards away. He came to my tree and I told him the story, he couldn't have been prouder.Needless to say he made good and the next year he bought me a new Pearson renagade bow. And Ive been having fun ever since! The funny thing is, I have had great success with bowhunting and my first deer will always be my most memorable hunt.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:06 PM

ok heres my story. November 7, 2002 I just started bow hunting, my father in law showes me this farm land and drops me off, gives me a map and says good luck, so I head in to this strip of woods about 100yrds wide and maybe half mile long alfalfa on both sides and corn fields on the ends. I find what looks to be a good spot several cross trails lots of sign, looks like maybe a staging area, I take my climber up about 18 feet, and prepare for the day. after about six hours of seeing deer all around except where I am sitting I decide to move. I get my stuff together and lower my bow and start to climb down, i get all the way down and I see this doe comming towards me on the trail and right behind her is nice 6 pointer, well my bow is about 15 feet away form me and the two deer are heading right at me, feeling I have nothing to loose I slowly move to get my bow, the deer are now about 50 yrds away, they cut the trail to the left and start to walk up the fence line parralel to me so they walk right in front of me 30 yrds first the doe and here comes the buck now I have the worst buck fever I am shaking so bad my arrow is rattling on the rest, the doe passes and stops, looks at me holding at full draw for what seemed to be forever the buck walks up behind her and starts to smell her, with the doe still watching me, I aim at the buck and let it fly, I hit him a little high just above the heart he run about 40 yrds and falls over, from then on I was hooked and I have left my shotgun in its case from that day on. now I hunt only with my bow, from september to january.. man what a feeling.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:16 PM

Dec 13, 2003

The first snowfall of the year. This should be a great day. I am set up over a well used trail into a cut corn field. I sit, and sit, and sit. About 7 hours I sit there, and haven't seen anything. I am bound and determined to either sit till dark, or finally shoot my first deer with a bow. Now, I have already this year missed a few, (what can I say, it happens) and I am pumped. What was that? Movement! I see him, a small spike coming down the trail leading in front of my tree. I slowly stand, and as the buck approaches, draw when he is about 30 yards away. Control your breathing I say, and when he gets 20 yards, I let fly. YES! Right thru the boiler room. Not a huge deer, but a trophy non the less.

Quick Reply: Let's hear about your first bow kill........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.