Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 NEEDED INFO ON JACKALOPES >

NEEDED INFO ON JACKALOPES

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NEEDED INFO ON JACKALOPES

Old 03-23-2004, 05:28 AM

Default NEEDED INFO ON JACKALOPES

My family and I just got back from a trip to New Mexico & South Texas and saw some mounts of jackalopes. Tried to get infomation on them, like if there was an archery season on them or not but everyone was unhelpful. Would like to know answers like opening dates in new mexico, where is the kill zone, do jackalopes shed there antlers? Any info would be helpfull.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: NEEDED INFO ON JACKALOPES

Ummmmm, anyone with jackalope experience care to field this one. I'm afraid I could only speculate on most of this. I did hear there's Sasquatch hunting season info over in the off-season forum though......now that's "big game".
Old 03-23-2004, 05:50 AM

All I will add is use a powerfull bow they are tough to put down

As far as I know the season will last until you refill your prescription
Old 03-23-2004, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ahh, you have discovered the legendary jackalope.....

We have a few running here in PA beleive it or not. Very wiley critters to say the least. They have been known to attack people here. We once had one out behind our house and one Easter, not one of the kids got any candy. Found the Easter bunny two days later battered and bruised. As for hunting these critters...I've heard stories about having to gun them down after a shot because they charged hunters. Ugly.....ugly, I'd rather not think about it. New Mexico has a large population that will offer the hunter a great challenge. Talk to the DNR for the state and make some contacts. Shed horns are difficult if not impossible to find because they usually chew up and eat their antlers as soon as they are dropped.

Kill zone is small, right behind the front leg. You need alot of KE to bring them down. So don't mess around with light weight setups. Elk setups work well.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jackalope season runs the same as snipe Im pretty sure .
Old 03-23-2004, 07:42 AM

I would recommend tall boots... You'll need them...
Old 03-23-2004, 07:51 AM

I will have to agree with the others, jackalopes are a very dangerous critter indeed. Better be packing very heavy when you go on a hunt for them, they have been known to survive the shots from some of the biggest guns. Best bet is to try and hunt them with at least a Barret .50 caliber.

Anyhow, if you do find out when the season is, please be sure to be safe and wary of their every move. Just as dangerous if not more so than a Cape Buffalo.

When you saw the mounts, did they not have a plaque to explain the legend of the jackalope?

Good luck in your quest for the ever elusive jackalope, it could be a long hunt!!!
Old 03-23-2004, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't let their size fool you--trust me on this,i was once chased up a tree only to find out they can climb!Luckily i had my trusty pepper spray(for use on LARGE bear)it was just enough to make the thing go away but you talk about a close call![8D]
Old 03-23-2004, 08:03 AM

I'd like to invite everyone on this board to my place for some Maine Jackalope Hunting. I saw a couple of bulls on my unfenced lanfd that were 7 x 7 and at least
300 inches. I'm talking Boone & Crockett Jackalope. It's really too bad that B & C dosen't consider a Jackalope to be a "game" animal.

Any ways, If you hunt big ones like I have on my property make sure to place at least 30 ft up in the tree. Last year I was at 20 ft and the damn bull charges and tried to jump up and knock me out of the tree. This was after I sent two threw the 1 1/4 inch boiler room. It's best to hunt these with a guide toating a gun.

GOOD LUCK
Old 03-23-2004, 08:10 AM

Watch your backside as some of the bucks can become very agitated or aggresive while being persued. If one does decide to come at you full force, just face him and hold your ground and call his bluff!!! Be careful and good hunting...

Quick Reply: NEEDED INFO ON JACKALOPES

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.