Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Just stunk up my 1st Fletching Job!!!!! >

Just stunk up my 1st Fletching Job!!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Just stunk up my 1st Fletching Job!!!!!

Old 03-08-2004, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Just stunk up my 1st Fletching Job!!!!!

Bees I'm with you on that one.I only wait 15 seconds per fletch and they hold great.I would be careful with accetone it is the same thing recomended for removal of crazy glue type products if it sticks to your skin.I use any of the super glue type for my carbons.You can buy one of the brands at home depot(two tubes)for around a couple of bucks.The fletchtite brand is a few bucks more yet they both do the same thing.Bill D>
Old 03-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Epuller,

Not to be a killjoy about your new toy, but the problem might very well be in the brand you chose. I had fletched several dozen arrows with a friend's Bitzenburger, and went and purchased my own jig so I wouldn't keep bugging him.

I went to the nearest Bass Pro and bought a Grayling, came home and fletched two arrows, and was absolutely disgusted with the results. In fact, it sounded much as you described. I looked carefully over the procedures I had undertaken to fletch these arrows, and I just wasn't happy with the tolerances or the mechanics of the jig.

I took it back, used the credit to trade it in on a Bitzenburger, and have fletched several since then without a problem. I know it's a another $25 or $30, but -- trust me -- it's worth every dollar to never have another problem fletching an arrow the rest of your life.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:45 AM

must have gotten a defective greyling. I've had mine going on three years now and never have had a problem with it.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree on the Bitzenberger jig. I think they are the best fletching jigs out there.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:41 AM

I have used the Bohning with great results. I use a straight fletch with an offset for now until i get better. Never seen a greyling other than the fish. Does the greyling have offset adjustments? Are they set at one or two degrees? Do you need an offset with curved fletching? As far as adhesive is concerned I use fletchtite for aluminum and bondtite for carbon. I shoot both for variety. My biggest problem is glue droppings!!! along the fletch base. I haven't got the knack for "just the right amount of adhesive" yet.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:12 AM

I don't think it's the jig. I love my grayling jig with the right helical clamp. I get great spacing...When I get home from class I'll post some pics of my fletching job.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:14 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Just keep at it and practice. I had a heck of a time when I fist started also. I couldn't keep the vanes on the shaft, they went on crooked, etc. This was all with a bitzenberger. There is a learning curve. I finally took a bunch of old arrows I no longer shot and practiced. You'll get the hang of it and look back and say, "Why was that so hard?"
Old 03-11-2004, 10:05 PM

Thanks mez - After reading all the posts I went out and fletched a few more with better results. Still not getting the glue droppings thing settleed but they are getting better.[8D]
Old 03-11-2004, 10:10 PM

Your right about the jig - But i still havent seen a grayling. I know a Bitz and a boehning look similar. Arizona is just too much all at one time watched a guy do it though and the results were acceptable.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:19 AM

Well, I don't know now if I can agree that the Bitzenberger Jig is any better then the Grayling.
I stated that the 1st one was a botch Job, well, all the others since then have come out wonderful.
I checked a couple of things with the jigs settings and now I can fletch arrows with super EASE!!!!!!!!!!

Great product by Grayling.
Spacing is very even and has turned out nice, the Helical is very nice looking down both ways on the arrow.
If at first you fail...

I do not regret the purchase of the jig, and the other clamps for straight and Left are only $10.00 each, and I can order them from Cabelas.

The feathers run more than that...

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I will no longer buy another fletched arrow.
I think I stripped every arrow I had that even started to look bad and re-fletched it. Nice Blue and Blue barred feathers...

Next is Crown dipping.

Quick Reply: Just stunk up my 1st Fletching Job!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.