Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Wiskers and feathers? >

Wiskers and feathers?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wiskers and feathers?

Old 03-01-2004, 12:23 PM

Default Wiskers and feathers?

I shoot vanes with my wisker bisket. Does or has anyone tried feathers. I have a friend who switched to feathers and he likes it better.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:27 PM

Default RE: Wiskers and feathers?

I think you will find that the Whisker Biscuit will eat up the feathers real quick.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:35 PM

Do you think it will or have you tried it. Like I said I know of one guy who switched and his feathers are holding up fine. I'm looking for others who have tried it and what they thought.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Have I tried it with one of the new Biscuit models? No. But I, and a couple fellow shooters down at the shop tried using feathers with the Biscuit when it was first introduced. It did damage them fairly quickly.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I first tried the Biscuit, I was shooting an untrimmed original Biscuit. It did wrinkle vanes and was tough on feathers too.[:@]

The second time I tried the rests, I did follow the trimming instructions on the CAP web site. The trimming made a significant difference, IMO. I was typically getting a little "fuzzing" of the outer edge of the feather, and that was about it. The feathers should last a long time, and present no serious problems with a trimmed Biscuit, or perhaps one of the new models, which I have not yet tried. Of course, we seem to get a lot of wet weather during hunting season, so waterproofing your feathers is important. I had been using feathers two seasons ago, and got a cloud of waterproofing powder in my face when I shot my doe. Not fun!

If you fletch your own arrows, then you may want to try either Bohning or AAE Speedflyte vanes. Both work well, are very damage/wrinkle resistant, even with the older Biscuits. I am currently shooting full right helical with those vanes and they are shooting and holding up very well. The Speed Flytes are pricey, and a little more difficult to fletch due to the "tiny" base on them, but they are much lighter than the Bohnings.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:33 PM

I shot tru flight feathers through an untrimmed biscuit all last year and could hardly tell a difference between them and new ones !

BUT......I switched to an offset fletch and I fletched my own arrows and made sure they were glued good & added a dab of glue to the front and back of each fletch ! It worked extremely well !

Currently I'm shooting Bohnings with a very mild helical and a new '04 biscuit and they are holding up great !!
Old 03-01-2004, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

i made a post in the bowhunting gear review forum. it is whisker biscuit ?'s. near the end 5 shot gave a link 2 the whole review of the wisker biscuit rests. at the end of his review there is an updated part about the new ones with softer bristles.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:26 PM

I have heard both, just like this thread is showing I guess
Old 03-01-2004, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ive got feathers on mine and they need too be shorter like 4 inches mine were 5 and the tips of the fletching got eatin but yes i like em
Old 03-01-2004, 04:59 PM

I use feathers with mine and I have been shooting them for about a year now and have only had to refletch because of damage done by other arrows. I shoot alot and when I was using vains I had to refletch often.

Quick Reply: Wiskers and feathers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.