Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Starting bow hunting this year >

Starting bow hunting this year

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Starting bow hunting this year

Old 02-25-2004, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Starting bow hunting this year

As a new guy in the sport, here are my questions:

1. Compound or cross bow? (Is this a highly debated subject?)
2. What brands/model bows should I stay away from?
3. If I buy a used bow, say on e-bay, what should I look for?
4. What are the most challenging aspects of bow hunting?
5. What are the benefits (why do guys get addicted to it)?
6. Other tips?

I'm sorry if this is too many questions, and if they have already been covered in this area. I haven't really read any threads in the bow hunting section before. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Old 02-25-2004, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Starting bow hunting this year

A crossbow is not Bowhunting. A crossbow should not be used in any Bow season, unless you are dissable! The powers to be are trying to pass that in my state of Pa, and if they
do it will be the begining of the end of archery as we no it in PA!!!!!!!!![&o]

Hatchet Jack
UBP-RULES
Old 02-25-2004, 10:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

ET !

I'd go to a compound because there's a challenge just to use one and to get good at shooting one, it's not like pulling it up to your eye and pulling the trigger there's practice ,practice and more practice .If you have time to do that then compound is your answer.

What brands to stay away from ! I'd have to say not what brands but what type of bow should you stay away from. As being a new bowhunter to start with, you want a bow you feel comfortable with. To start a speed burner with a short brace would be 2 thing's to stay away from to start out, Once you become a better shot with a bow you may want to take on the challenge of this type of bow but not to start with.All bow companies have good choices for the beginner and the professionals you need to go to a few shop's and ask these same question's .

Now if you are to buy a bow off of e-bay you need to know what your draw length is and what weight your able to pull comfortably . In your case I would stay away from e-bay for now ,you can do better by speaking to a dealer about your situation and he can advise you on what direction to go. On e-bay they just want to sell the bow they don't ask question's. If your not sure of what you want you might no get what your expecting, do yourself a favour and buy from a dealer for now .When you learn more about archery and how to do your own set-ups and other thing's e-bay might get you a deal.

Now the most challenging aspect of bowhunting has to be thinking and outsmarting the game your hunting.It's definetly not like rifle hunting you need to get the game close, you need to know where the game is when it's snowing and raining ,the wind direction's, the bedding area's ,what scent's to use on different situation's pre rut ,rut , and post rut activity. How do these animal's respond to call's in these times of the season and using scent control and the list goes on . Bowhunting is most definetly a challenge of getting close .

This is an easy question I got addicted because it is a accomplishment of it's own getting the game standing beneath you in your treestand or groundblind and them not knowing you are there, knowing that all you have to do is release your arrow it's a rush .This season one night I went out and I had 14 deer around my treestand and never shot one ,when I left I watched 2 big buck's fighting in the field WOW! what a night definetly the best night I've ever had ,and never took a shot and never took home a deer and I could have but the right one never presented me with the right shot.That's why I'm addicted.

I hope Ive helped you out and you can e-mail me if you have any other question's I'd be glad to help you out. This board has a lot of very knowledgable archers here, and they would all help you out in a minute all you have to do is ask . Good luck on your choice of bow and remember if you buy from a dealer he can alway's help you out with any problem's you have e-bay can't.

nubo
Old 02-25-2004, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Crossbow is not a bow. Next question.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

1. Compound or cross bow? (Is this a highly debated subject?)
Yes it is a highly debated subject that seems to bring the bad out in some people.
I dont care what anyone shoots as long as it is legal.

2. What brands/model bows should I stay away from?
All bow companies make good quality bows these days the trick is to find one that fits you and feels the best for you.

3. If I buy a used bow, say on e-bay, what should I look for?
I advise all new comers to our sport to go the Pro Shop route with your first bow.
A good Pro Shop will check your draw lenght and poundage you are comfortable with.
Most Pro Shops will have 2nd hand bows that are a year or 2 old for good prices.
The trouble with Ebay and other online places is you cant handle the bow and shoot it before you buy it.

4. What are the most challenging aspects of bow hunting?
Getting close to the game you are trying to take.

5. What are the benefits (why do guys get addicted to it)?
You will know that answer when you take your first animal with a bow

6. Other tips?
Practice,practice,practice dont just shoot arrows work on shooting form.
Shoot from a tree stand remember Bend at the waist.
Practice sitting down,kneeling,bent torso as you are never know where that animal is going to come from.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the world of bowhunting I am still pretty new to it myself and enjoy shooting my bow as much as possible. It does take time to learn how to be good and i am still learning the basics but its fun fun fun. You'll get some great tips and other helpful advice as well. I learned a few things on here despite being new (I have had my bow i think about 9 months, maybe longer but i still consider myself new until i can get my shots almost perfect)
Old 02-26-2004, 04:21 PM

After shooting a bow for the first time I was addicted to it. I haven't touched my gun since. Oh darnit that reminds me, I have to clean my shotgun from that December duck hunt.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

1.compound
2.almost all bows are good these days
3.look for return if available, draw length, weight, axle to axle length, how much the bow weighs/u also should check the closest prpshop first they will set u up and do it rite
4.um i'd have 2 say tuning ur bow and getting used 2 judging yardages and maybe learning 2 pull ur bow back quietly and holding it
5.when u kill a deer with a bow it is a great feeling knowing u have put so much work into sumthing and achieved it
6.just practice a lot
Old 02-27-2004, 06:08 PM

NUBO, pretty much summed it up, go to local pro shop
Old 02-29-2004, 07:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

First off, don't start out on the wrong foot. Find a good archery shop in your area. Know how much you want to spend and talk to them. They should have a selection of both new and used bows and can set you up properly. For the beginner, I'd stay away from buying on Ebay or on line at all until you know what you need. Only you with the help of an archery pro can figure this out.

Quick Reply: Starting bow hunting this year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.