Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 camo is it needed? >

camo is it needed?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

camo is it needed?

Old 02-22-2004, 09:30 PM

Default RE: camo is it needed?

No offence but I have to strongly disagree with the statement that real tree is the best camo patern on the marker today. The only reason that Realtree, mossy oak, advantage, etc... is so popular is in the marketing of the product.

The two best camp paterns on the market today are ASAT and Predator. These two break up the human outline better than any other camo out there right now bar none. These two may not have the amount of market share as the front runners but they will some day because the work so much better than the sticks and leaves paterns.
Bigbulls is the man. I strongly agree with that....even tho my name has mossy oak in it...............
Old 02-22-2004, 09:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think camo is a needed thing but it maskes outlines and such. So i think its important to have it.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

I do not buy into the "deer see in black and white" opinion that is so commonly offered to promote certain styles of camo/opinions. It seems each time I read a new article on a deer's vision that the opinion of the author/research is always changing. First they see black and white...then it is black and white but with some awareness of blues and yellows....etc..

What I "think" is that if you are going to go hunting then try to wear something that looks like your surroundings...whether it be by color, shape or size. In my case, it is not just the animals I am trying to stay hidden from...
Old 02-23-2004, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my state of Pa Camo is used to hide from the many NITWITS that hunt in the southeast part of the state LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2004, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my state of Pa Camo is used to hide from the many NITWITS that hunt in the southeast part of the state LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
I never considered myself a nitwit.....
Old 02-25-2004, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

That was not ment for you. AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2004, 09:50 AM

Depends on where you are standing or sitting. I truly believe from 25 years of experience, that clothing that breaks up your outline does help. Even if you are sitting still with the right wind a deer can still pick you out from a good distance if you have little background cover. No its not absolutely neccessary but I firmly believe it gives you an edge in many situations. When I first started bowhunting i wore a olive drab flight suit my dad had given me. The first couple of years I had alot of deer stare me down and get nervous after they caught a glimpse of me up in a tree.
I hadnt moved a muscle and the wind was usually in my favor so I figured the solid blob must have them spooked. I went to an army surplus store and bought my first set of camo. I took some iron on patches and added some lighter tones to the clothing and hit the woods again. There was a night and day difference in the amount of deer I saw and the amount of deer that DIDNT see me.
Camo doesnt have to be store bought and look like a log or leaf type.
Any pattern with large blotches of various tones will work. And plaid IS camoflauge.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:01 AM

Of all the things a tree stand hunter needs to worry about - Camo is at the BOTTOM of the list IMO
I believe you Rack. Ive seen pics of some of your monster bucks and those camo clothes you're wearing are the most faded patterns ive ever seen.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I actually hunted this past year in my big bird costume and the deer didn't seem to mind[:-]
Old 03-04-2004, 06:48 AM

I can't sit so I still hunt. I have found that two different camo patterns break up my human outline. In people country deer realize the human outline as a danger. Most camo is too dark, I like a lot of gray in the pattern.