Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Razortec setup help? >

Razortec setup help?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Razortec setup help?

Old 02-15-2004, 12:33 PM

Default Razortec setup help?

I'm new to archery hunting but after lots of research and visits to the pro shops I have decided to get a Hoyt Razortec. They measured me at the shop and I have a 29.5" draw length to the corner of my lip. I'm right handed and will be using a release and want to know what length to set my bow at. I think different releases influence draw length right? And how do the module things work? The setup I want would be 80# draw at 65% let off. Could you please give me some advice as to what accessories would work well with my setup. This bow will be used for tree stand hunting.

Type of rest (Whisker biscuit, TT Shakey hunter, ect)?
Type of release (Scott little goose, ect)?
Type of stabilizer (Hoyt,ect)?
Type of sight?
Type of quiver? (Not the type that attaches to the bow)
Type of arrow's for hunting and type for target?

Any tips or help would be great thanks.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Razortec setup help?

WOW..... you're gonna get plenty of feedback on this topic, might even start an arguement or two.

First off, CONGRATS on the new Hoyt, awesome bow!!! I have both the '03 Cyber and the new '04 XTEC and they are awesome shooting bows just made for whitetailin'. Looking forward to your feedback on the rig when you get it together.

For serious treestand bowhunting you won't find a better sight then the Trophy Ridge MANTIS. This awesoem sight also doubles as an adjustable moveable pin sight to keep you dead-on from the ground. So no matter if you're tucked in a brush pile waiting for a deer or stuffed in the turkey blind waiting for a Gobbler or even some friendly competition at the local 3D range, this sight will be perfect.

For rests I'd also suggest looking again at Trophy Ridge. As many on the forums will attest the DZ has become an incredibly popular rest because it works!!! Flawless b-head tipped arrow flight is the advantage of this top quality fallaway. Of course with a fallaway you can use an agressive amount of helical for maximum shootability with your favorite hunting head and never have to worry about clearence issues again. Simple, solid, quiet, what more could you want in a hunting rest.

For a release let me suggest the TRU BALL Short-N-Sweet II. This lightweight, compact, super accurate, comfortable little release is the ultimate for using a rope loop on the string which is going to be the most forgiving set-up on you new hunting rig. You'll certainly want to check this baby out.

For a quiver, I again have tried many of the popular detachable versions. I like the Bohning Lynx 4 over the Alpine and Kwikee models. I think it just feels better on the Hoyts.

For arrows I would suggest looking into one of many quality carbon shafts. I personally prefer the CX 3D Select but I've also had good results with the Gold Tip 3D Pros. Both Carbon Express and Gold Tip offer many different grades of shafting but I would strongly suggest buying the best you can afford. I have also been hearing a great deal about the new Easton ST Axis and based on the feedback from reliable sources I WILL be taking a look at these little industructable shafts.

I hope some of these suggestions help with your "ultimate" hunting rig. Good luck and good shootin'
Old 02-15-2004, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with il cornfead on the release.The Short and Sweet is most likely the best wrist style rlelease going right now.You just hook the release directly on the loop and the design will allow you to shoot the longest draw possible. www.truball.com

I prefer the Extreme Sniper sight for a hunting sight.You will not find a tougher sight anywhere. www.extremearchery.com

As for a rest,give the Viital Bow gear ultimate fallaway a look.Everyone that has one is raving about how well they work and they are not as expensive as the Drop Zone and it will hold the arrow in place untill you draw the bow.It will even close on the arrow again if you let down.It is also quiet and requires no rubber or moleskin or any other products to make it quiet,that is part of the design. www.vitalbowgear.com also check out what is being said about it in the bowgear forum.

As for stabilizers,I prefer Vibracheck.They make a simple but very functionable stabilizer. www.vibracheck.com The owners are also as nice as anyone you have ever met.

Arrows,a lot of people are really singing the praises of the new Easton Axis arrows.They are well made and very durable.
www.eastonarchery.com
Old 02-16-2004, 11:54 AM

I've talked with a couple guys and they think 70# limbs are a better choice for this bow. They said it would be easier to sell later on and being able to drop down to 60# is better for 3D and target shooting. I want the max performance out of this bow, how much am I going to lose going down to 70# limbs? Is the noise level better at 70# than 80#?
Old 02-16-2004, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

70#'s will definately be better for the shoulders than 80#'s.I really don't see the need for 70#'s but some people are more comfortable with it.65#'s is more than enough for whitetail and is also good for 3-d.But that is completely up to you.You do need to think about down the road and the abuse your shoulders take.