Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Now I'm really confused.... >

Now I'm really confused....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Now I'm really confused....

Old 02-11-2004, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Now I'm really confused....

I thought I had my mind set on buying a Bowtech Extreme VFT or Patriot. I had considered a Hoyt but not seriously until tonight. I shot several arrows through the VFT (no Patriot in stock) and a Hoyt Razortec. I was extremely impressed with how well the Hoyt shot. The Bowtech was definitely faster, but the Hoyt shot smoother and a bit quieter. Not that the VFT was bad, it's leaps and bounds over my current bow. The only thing I didn't like about the Hoyt was the way it drops off into the valley really hard. The bow would shake side to side when I came to full draw. Other than that, I had no complaints about the bow. I like the draw cycle of the VFT over the Razortec, but the Hoyt just seemed to shoot better to me. I also shot a Bowtech Liberty but quite honestly, I was unimpressed. I liked the VFT better. So now, I'm even more confused than before. I am going to wait for the Patriot to come in before I make my final decision. My only concern with the Hoyt is that once I get it rigged out with hunting arrows, it will not ne that much faster than my current setup. Tomorrow, I'm going to shoot a couple of Matthews. I hope that doesn't mak the decision even harder.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Now I'm really confused....

What are you going to do with the bow:

1. Spot
2. 3-D
3. Hunt
4. All of the above?

Fritz
Old 02-12-2004, 05:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am going to wait for the Patriot to come in before I make my final decision.
I think this to be the wisest decision. I think what you will find is a bow very similar to the VFT in terms of draw cycle and speed but with a bit more accuracy as well.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:25 AM

Mike , When going to shoot the Mathews verify the poundage...... if your going to try and make an apples to apples type comparison !! Reason being is the roller guard bows pull well over advertised poundage .....my LX pulled 76# and my Outback pulls 75# and both are 70# bows ! The difference in pulling the full weight and backing it down to 70# is very noticable!!

Good luck with whatever you get ......those are all nice bows !!
Old 02-12-2004, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try a MATHEWS--you think it's a hard decision now
Old 02-12-2004, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh decision's ,decision's the pain of it all.

nubo
Old 02-12-2004, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mrfritz44

What are you going to do with the bow:

1. Spot
2. 3-D
3. Hunt
4. All of the above?

Fritz
Primarily a hunting rig with ocassional 3D shooting to keep my skills honed. Not looking to shoot serious competition.

I think this to be the wisest decision. I think what you will find is a bow very similar to the VFT in terms of draw cycle and speed but with a bit more accuracy as well.
That's what I'm thinking as well. I read your review of the Razortech and it has a lot of good info. Have you notices the same hard drop off ito the valley on the cam & 1/2 bows that I mentioned? That is my only real concern with the bow.

Mike , When going to shoot the Mathews verify the poundage...... if your going to try and make an apples to apples type comparison !! Reason being is the roller guard bows pull well over advertised poundage .....my LX pulled 76# and my Outback pulls 75# and both are 70# bows ! The difference in pulling the full weight and backing it down to 70# is very noticable!!
The Bowtech VFT that I shot would bottom out at 74# as well. It was still comfortable for me to shoot at that weight because that's about what I currently shoot on an 11 year old 2 cam 65% let off bow.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:56 PM

I love the Hoyt's and the cam & 1/2, and that is in fact what I shoot, but I will admit, any little creep with that cam & 1/2 and you are in trouble. But, IMO, the handle and balance of the Hoyt bows are far superior to any other I've tried, including Bowtech, Mathews, etc.

When you start deciding between top of line bows, it's purely personal choice, they are all very good bows
Old 02-12-2004, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

You'll end up buying a Mathews if you shoot one, so beware.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

On the Hoyt,try to find a cam 1/2 that has your draw in the middle of the draw length adjustments instead of maxed out.This is the best way to setup the cam 1/2 and will take that hard drop off and make it all but disappear.If it is still more than you like,try 65% letoff and then the cam system feels wonderfull.

Sometimes when they put the cables on the Hoyts from the factory,the top cam is ahead of the bottom and that may give you the feel there is very little valley ,all that is needed then is to twist the cables untill the bottom hits the same or a little ahead of the top and then FORGET ABOUT IT.You won't ever need to touch them again.

I know what you mean about the side to side motin on the Razor,I noticed it too.But my Ultratec doesn't do it.So you may want to give a serious look at the Xtec because it has the same riser but with shorter limbs.

I really like my Hoyts and in no way am I trying to push you away from the Bowtech's,I just don't have any experience with them.

Quick Reply: Now I'm really confused....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.