Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Very Uncomfortable Feeling! >

Very Uncomfortable Feeling!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Very Uncomfortable Feeling!

Old 02-12-2002, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Very Uncomfortable Feeling!

I'M FAIRLY NEW TO THE BOWHUNTING SCENE--GOING ON MY FOURTH SEASON--TWO SEASONS AGO ME & BUDDY SET ABOUT 90 YARDS APART ON THE IN SOME VERY THICK COVER--MAX. SHOT PROBABLY ABOUT 20 YARDS--IN THE OPEN AREAS--ANYWAY,WE'RE SITTING ON LOGS & UPROOTED TREES AND IT STARTS!! I SAW TWO BUCKS GO BY WITH NO CHANCE AT A SHOT--IF I WERE UP IN A TREE I PROBABLY WOULD'VE HAD TWO SHOTS--AFTER THE SECOND BUCK IS OUT OF SIGHT I START TO TRY MY GRUNT.THE FIRST COUPLE ATTEMPTS=NOTHING--THEN I HEARD SOMETHING BETWEEN ME & MY BUDDY-CLOSE!!MAYBE 15 YARDS AWAY--I GRABBED THE PRIMOS TROPHY GRUNT-BLEW ONCE OR TWICE & BEFORE I COULD EVEN MOVE I HAD A GOOD SIZE 6 POINT WITH A HIGH RACK STANDING RIGHT BEHIND ME! STILL SITTING ON THE LOG WITH ONE HAND STILL ON THE GRUNT--WHICH I WAS STILL HOLDING UP TO MY MOUTH--I WAS SHAKING--FEAR OR EXCITEMENT OR BOTH--NOTHING I COULD DO--THE BUCK TURNED A BIT AND I MANAGED TO DRAW---PROBLEM WAS THE DEER WAS STILL TO MY RIGHT AND BEHIND ME AND I'M RIGHT HANDED!I HELD AT FULL DRAW AS LONG AS I COULD--SEEMED LIKE FOREVER--AT FULL DRAW WITH THE DEER STANDING TO MY RIGHT WATCHING ME START TO SHAKE FROM HOLDING AT FULL DRAW HOPING HE WOULD WALK OUT IN FRONT--DIDN'T HAPPEN--I WAS READY TO TAKE A NAP AFTER THAT!!!!!I CAME HOME EMPTY HANDED---BUT WHAT A HUNT!!!
Old 02-12-2002, 06:52 PM

Nothing like shaking in your boots, those are some awesome hunts!
Old 02-13-2002, 04:12 AM

Two years ago my son was hunting from the ground at the edge of a field. He was sitting under a tree watching the field when a big doe came out right next to him and stopped. I watch them through my binoc's for 25min before she moved into the field. He sat still so long that both his legs fell asleep. Huge thrill for him and me.
Old 02-13-2002, 06:22 AM

I was hunting hogs with my Thompson Contender pistol because I'd been hunting about 4 days and was seeing hogs but could'nt put it all together for a close shot with my bow. With only a day left I figured I'd increase my odds and take my pistol. I saw a 300 lb sow feedding down a ridge and got ahead of her. She did'nt come out where I thought but came out from behind a tree about 5 feet away. My pulse doubled in about 1 second. I could'nt see anything in the scope but black before it hit me I only need to point at that distance. I've always regreted that I gave up on my bow.
Old 02-13-2002, 07:43 AM
New Sheriff

Twice I have had em close enough to kiss...

1) I was walking to my stand one afternoon and for some reason decided to go a different way. As I approched a ridge, I looked down to see this small buck feeding up the ridge towards a ravine. Thinking I knew where he was going to cross the ravine, I eased my way around and kneeled down beside a stump with a paw-paw tree growing out of it. As I waited for the buck to cross the ravine, I heard something directly behind me. The 4 pt was just on the other side of the stump, about arms length away, close enough I could here him chewing acorns. He finally fed out 4 steps away and got behind the only big tree in the woods. I was so close that when he stuck his head behind the tree and I drew, he heard me draw my bow. When he stuck his head out to see what was up,, all I could see was his head and his butt. After holding back about two hours (ok, maybe 30 seconds but you know the feeling) I had decided the only shot I had was a head shot, at four steps how could I miss? About the time I had decided to shoot, he steps out from behind the tree and I made the WORST shot I have ever made. I didn't even line my peep up with my pins, I just let 'er fly. It was such a bad shot that I hit him in the liver and he died within 60 yds.

2) I was hunting a permenant stand in this huge red oak in the middle of a thicket. Right before dark, a six point and two does comes thru the thicket and are going to past about 60 yds to my left. The steps to the stand were on the other side of the tree so I decided to get down and try to belly crawl to within range. I got down successfully and made my way to this row of fallen trees. There was a small field (2000 sq ft) and they were going to cross just on the other side of it. The grass in the field was about knee high so I thought maybe I could belly crawl across the field, I only had to make up about 30 yds to get a shot when they crossed an old road. I put my turkey call in my mouth and with bow in left hand and arrow in right hand, started inching my way across towards an old shack that had fallen down. Every time the deer looked my direction, I gave a few soft purrs and yelps with the turkey call and it seemed to be working, as a matter of fact, working too well....
I had made it about half way across when I looked over at the deer and noticed the buck was no longer with the does, so I just froze there until I could spot the buck. Out of nowhere, the six point appeared right in front of me,,,no less than 5 ft away. I put my face in the dirt and waited for him to pass but he was curious as to what I was. After about two hours (again, maybe only 30 seconds) I looked up and the buck was sniffing the arrow I had in my right hand. I about crapped, I could imagine him smelling the tinks on my pants leg and either stomping the piss outta me or violating me in ways I did not wish to be had....
He finally turned and started down beside me and I lost it.......I think he either saw me shaking or smelled me when I crapped my pants because he turned and ran towards the does and stopped about 35 yds, giving me a shot. I eased up and knocked my arrow but he didn't stick around for the shot. It didn't matter tho because I was shaking to much to draw my bow back....

Edited by - mr4pt on 02/13/2002 08:47:14
Old 02-13-2002, 08:21 AM

Hunts like these even though you may go home empty handed, still gives you memories to cherish for a lifetime!
Old 02-13-2002, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Got one - two years ago - I had to pee really bad. I was in my stand 20 feet up. I got my bottle out and was getting releaved when I heard a snort behind me (I was facing the tree, so it was right in front of my stand). I was in mid stream and I couldn't stop. I was looking over my shoulder and it was a real nice eight point. He was looking right at me. I still wonder to this day what he was thinking. Non-the-less he lived to see another day. These are all great stories, and you have to love them and laugh!
Old 02-13-2002, 08:34 AM

close encounters of the buck kind.
these are some really good stories. the only one i have conserns a fox.
i was sitting under a oak tree squirl hunting and a red fox came in to about 5 foot. it was so awsome he remained there for about 5 min. then moved out of the area.

Old 02-13-2002, 09:39 AM
Typical Buck

I have had a bunch of "close encounters" with deer while ground hunting. Lots within 15 yards but off the top of my head I can think of two young bucks that walked within 5 feet of me. Once was when I was rattling for a buddy on the last day of the season, I had a little 6 pointer come walking directly up a hill towards me. I was whispering to my buddy that one was coming but he didn't hear me. I kept trying to get his attention without spooking the buck but my buddy was in la la land and never paid any attention and he had his back facing me and the approaching buck so he had no idea what was about to happen. Well, I lowered my head and crouched down next to a fallen tree and the buck walked right next to me, so close I could see the bottom of his stomach when I peeked out of the corner of my eye. Then I got the giggles because I knew my buddy had no clue that a buck was two feet behind him and closing fast. I was doing all I could to keep the laughter in until finally the buck startled my buddy and he gasped out loud and scared the begezus out of the buck and the buck snorted and bolted. It was hilarious.

Another time I was ground hunting and had a little forkie walk in to within about 3 feet of me. It was the first morning hunt of a 5 day trip me and a couple buddies were on and the night before we were all so pumped up about the upcoming week that we celebrated with the shots of Jack Daniels and beer chasers a bit too much and I was hangin' in a big way that morning and when this little buck sauntered in and kept getting closer and closer, I was getting more and more nervous which got the ole butterflies a goin' which in turn, coupled with stale Jack in my gut, resulted in major gastrointestinal pain. I tried to hold the flatulants in but the pressure was too great so I had to blow it all out my arse. It wasn't long that the young buck got whiff of my funk and looked me straight in the eye and started stomping and blowing and finally bolted. My stench ruined that spot for the entire trip.
Old 02-13-2002, 09:54 AM

I would have loved to have seen the first hunt, as for the second hunt well, will just talk about it from a distance HA!

Quick Reply: Very Uncomfortable Feeling!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.