Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The biggest Game I will ever get... >

The biggest Game I will ever get...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The biggest Game I will ever get...

Old 02-05-2004, 03:24 PM

Default The biggest Game I will ever get...

The largest game I will probably ever be able to bring down is a Whitetail deer.
Myself and my family live on humble income, have a house payment, two wonderful, beautiful growing kids and we love the outdoors.

I do not for many years see myself spending a couple of thousand(and more) dollars on going to another state and paying outrageous fees to hunt another big game animal. I love to deer hunt and it is very exhilerating and wonderful sport, but I have always had a desire to go West(live in Kansas) and go Elk hunting in Colorado, or hunt the Moose of Alaska... but for some reason it does not seem a reality to me. To do such things cost money and time. When the kids are grown and out of the house, perhaps then, but it will be much tougher for an old man in his 50's to try and stalk down an elk.

What is the Biggest game you may ever take??

Please don't get me wrong, I love everything and every moment God gives me on this great earth, and I try not to waste much of it.
I love to hunt buck, as most people would never get the opportunity to do even that, but I just have the desire to hunt other big game.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The biggest Game I will ever get...

E,
Don't count yourself out.......if you really desire it you will find a way, and there's nothing wrong with priorities first.
I am always keeping my eyes and ears open for inexpensive alternatives to the high priced guided hunts.
Do it yourself hunts are always an option, and there is a lot of public ground in the west that sees a lot more pressure in the gun seasons than bow.

I would like to take as many big game animals as I can as I desire to hunt different land as much as different species.
Caribou
Elk
Black Bear
Antelope
Moose
Those are the "Big 5" beyond deer hunts I hope to complete successfully before I kick the bucket. [X(]
Old 02-05-2004, 04:10 PM

Epuller, don't be too down on yourself, you are hunting THE GREATEST game animal on earth and you live in one of the best whitetail meccas on earth.

As far as big game, I've been on black bear hunt, would like to do carribou, moose, etc. However, even if I had the money I don't think I would spend it to kill another animal, I simply love to hunt whitetail. If I spend big $$ to hunt, you can bet I will hunting whitetail.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:30 PM

Right now all ive hunted with a bow is whitetails, turkey, and hogs. I hope one day to go on a bear hunt or caribou, somethin kinda like that. But, those are my fare fetched ideas. I know someday ill get the chance to hunt Elk, unless i die tomorrow or somethin. Id also like to hunt an antelope. Even though there not big, i think it would still be fun.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

Hey E, don't feel like the lone ranger. I've got 3 kids! Man, I knew they were expensive but had no idea! But I also wouldn't trade them for anything and actually wish I had more. We don't have alot of extra money either and certainly none for expensive trips. But fortunately, if I can only hunt a few animals, I'm sure glad whitetail is one of them. What scares me is the public hunting is limited and more and more land seems to be going to high fenced high dollar hunting which is really sad. Funny, I would like to go to Kansas to hunt whitetail! Good luck and good hunting.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

One day it will be Moose. Here in Minnesota its a once in a lifetime draw. Its just a matter of time. I do not have the cash to pay to play but thats ok it just makes the harvest that much better. I have been blessed and very lucky with whitetails. Them pics in my signature are all deer that cost me the gas to go scouting. Thats it! And yes some were on public land. Bear was on public also. I will have to pay eventually, I really want a muley and a elk bad. I just need to give it some time when I have some money.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess some of us take these privelages for grantit .I hunt bear ,Whitetail,Moose and Turkey's.I'd like to add elk and,caribou to the list before I call it a life.They're all fun and I hope your dream's come true as well and appreciate them all as I said we just forget sometime just how lucky we are.

nubo
Old 02-05-2004, 09:37 PM

E, If you really want to go out west, you might consider a trade hunt. I'm sure there are guys in Colorado, New Mexico, etc., who would LOVE to hunt the big Kansas whitetail , if they had connections. They could probably set you up on a good elk hunt, I don't know. I'm not sure exactly how these things work, but I know it does happen. Maybe even someone on this board would like to trade with you. If Oklahoma had much to offer you didn't already have up there, I'd try to swing a deal with you myself!! GOOD LUCK!!
Old 02-06-2004, 06:53 AM

E, I feel your pain. I've got a little one and am saving to buy a house so I can understand not having the money to shell out for a big game hunt. You may want to consider applying for the Maine moose lotter permit. It's only like 20$ to apply and if your drawn the permit is about $450 but I think the meat would cover that portion of the expense.

http://www.informe.org/ifw/moosepermit.html

If you apply and get drawn I'd gladly go north with you. I went last year (a friend was drawn) and they scored on a small bull. I saw plenty of moose and am confident that I could put you on a tropy bull. We saw a couple but the guys I went with didn't feel like swimming to put a rope on it once it went down. If I went again I'd bring a float tube and waders to get the job done.

I live in maine and I guess I'm luckier than most as we have decent whitetails (we don't grow them like you do in Kansas) and bears to hunt. No hogs, elk or mullies in Maine but that's ok becasue I prefer to chase the craftiest of all, The Whitetail Deer