Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 PA bow season changes >

PA bow season changes

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PA bow season changes

Old 02-02-2004, 07:57 PM

Default PA bow season changes

hey pa bowhunters, did anyone see the new changes that they are going to make to archery season? they are going to allow crossbows to be used in archery season in the areas around philly. That pisses me off because rifle hunters will go out and buy crossbows and take some of are deer. Some crossbows can be shot extremely accurately to 60 yards or more. I hunt a lot around the suburbs of philly and it really pisses me off. when i head down to the Harrisburg show, i am going to make sure that the game commission booth gets an ear full from me!!![:@][:@][:@][>:], if u don't believe me check out the game commission website

PA game commission website
Old 02-02-2004, 09:13 PM

Default RE: PA bow season changes

Reality check, those deer aren't your deer, or our deer, or anyone else's deer. To be ticked because they may kill more of "your" deer is ridiculous.

P.S. A compound can be accurately shot at 60 yards or further also, it all depends on who is behind it.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:15 PM

Buck Magnet is correct. However, I feel your pain Legacy 357. Everyone who says they "don't have time to practice" and who think bowhunting is a "gimme" and do not go out in the woods, will now be in the woods. It will be a band-aid for what some fear--hard work. This is not always the case, but more common than not. JMO
Old 02-03-2004, 05:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I posted a similar thread over on the Northeast regional forum regarding these changes and a few others. If you don't get more response here I will move this thread over there.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Although I oppose Xbows in regular archery seasons, I can see the point in SRA areas where every chance is need to get a hold of the deer pops. I am fearful of any yahoo picking up an Xbow and sticking deer left and right. There are enough guys like that with regular bows.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some crossbows can be shot extremely accurately to 60 yards or more

dont know about that , with the noise they make , the deer will be in the next county before the bolt gets there . Not a big deal , if pepole want to hunt with them I say let them , but it does seem weird for Pa to pass this , I guess its because ohio has a similar law . You have to shoot a flintlock in muzzelloader season with open sights , but in archery they let you use a crossbow , go figure .
Old 02-03-2004, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

My father, who is disabled uses a crossbow. I personally do not see any other need for them during hunting season. It's basically a gun that shoots an arrow. I do not like them, and oppose to this ruling. Why do they feel the need to legalize them?

To me, its just another attempt for the game commission to make money. By forcing people who want to use a crossbow to buy a muzzleloader tag, they are making more money.

Buck Magnet, no these are not "our" deer, and anyone who thinks they are needs their head examined. I don't think that that term was meant to be percieved that way by Legacy357. But, I would be highly irritated to work hard to pattern and get close to a big buck only to have someone shoot it at 60 yards with a crossbow. Kind of takes the so called "sport" of archery away doesn't it? To me, its basically the same as shooting a deer in archery season with a gun illegally. Where is the sport in that?
Old 02-03-2004, 08:41 AM

Ask the Game Commission why they made the ruling. Maybe it was to decrease the suburban deer population. Just a thought.