Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you or wouldnt you? >

Would you or wouldnt you?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you or wouldnt you?

Old 02-02-2004, 06:00 PM

Default Would you or wouldnt you?

My ? is this:

I have made friends with a farmer who has given me permission to hunt his land...But the area in which he will allow me to hunt is not very heavy with woods..

Here's the situation:
If you hold up your hand and extend only 3 fingers index,middle,ring..spread them ,this is what the woods is like with corn fields in between (of course when crops are in) a main road towards(your wrist) and and to the far left 100 or so yards away.. a very very steep cliff leading down to a creek towards the tips of your fingers..and thats it with the exception of an open field to the right which that does not belong to him..

There are other woods ajorning these (crossing the roads or the bridge to get to other side)also but absolutley no way of crossing this creek unless you cross the bridge to go to other side where there is more woods(his) and thick bedding area.. I have scouted this area for some time and found some tracks ..etc but it don't really look to promising, but could i be missing something here? He does have lots of ground(100's of acres, but already lets other hunters in different areas( this area as he says belongs to me for hunting he would not let another in that area).. I have pondered hunting this cause of lack of woods..

He also would like for me to come out and take care of some ground hogs for him..
I want to hunt private land but like i said its not alot of an area i can hunt.. (approx 40 acres with maybe 15-20 of it is the finger of woods that i descibed)But i am in hopes that the friendship can grow and maybe he will let me in to more promising areas.. But i don't want to or like to step on anyone elses toes and invade on their hunting.. I try to do my best to respect my fellow hunters as much i can cause i wood like for them to do the same for me..

Would any of you guys worry bout this or hunt this property if you were me?
I hunt public land now and would love nothing more than to be able to hunt private ground and i know how difficult it can be to gain permission from others..

imo..it seems if nothing else it may be good for early season..

I by no means will let this slip away, i have every intension of doing whatever i can to keep this..

Please give me your input, advice on what you would do if you were me..I appreciate any advice anyone can give..

If you need anymore info just ask me..
Sorry for this being so long..
Old 02-02-2004, 06:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Would you or wouldnt you?

Dang right I would be hunting it. Even if there are only ground hogs there it would still be worth it.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get your foot in the door and help him out , be cordgal and polite and you never know , some of his other land might open up to you .,
Old 02-02-2004, 07:00 PM

Definatly! Sounds like the area im hunting, except its only 10 acres! The guys house is about 80 yards from any stand i have up. I shot my biggest buck off this property. The house is hidden by a tree line, then it opens up to an open field with a couple trees, this is a staging/feeding area for the deer. Almost all but the south property is woods. Allthough, theres sign all over this place i hunt, even if there wasnt id be hunting it. The deer may be going through it. I would say give at least some consideration, it could be well worth your effort.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will tell you right now, some of the biggest bucks I have seen have come from a small patch of woods in the middle of a field. How about that brushy area that sounds like a great bedding area. Get in and check it out more closely. Good luck and I would definetly watch it more closely to see if it could be productive.

And also if other ares of his land are getting considerate pressure you think them deer are going to hang there? No way. Good Luck![8D]
Old 02-02-2004, 08:34 PM

go for it, man. 40 acres of private land is way better than any public land if your public land is like where i am.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah I agree with buckslayer.....hunt it. Just because there isn't alot of woods doesn't mean there wont be deer in there. They might not live in there day and night but with the crops, you can bet they will be in there.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

By all means, hunt it. A friend and I started hunting a property last year with a creek running through it. I finally killed a decent buck and a doe along the creek last year, but completely ignored a small 5 acre patch of trees in the corner of the farm. This year I put a stand in those trees and killed two does and a 210# 9-pt in there and passed up a 6-point and a smaller 9-point. Small patches of woods can be very productive.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:36 PM

Had my best season ever this past year, took 3 and pasted on my shots because in Ok you are only allowed 4 tags. I was hunting a section which is a wheat field with a little creek running through it. There was much more promising places all around me but the deer were using it as a travel route between places. Last year I hunted a section that looked like you see in the videos, covered in oak, tall grass with a beatiful creek going right through the middle of it. The problem with the place was being in the right place at the right time. There was many more deer but they had more of an erea to hide, where this year I set up in the tree line in the creek and seen twice the amount of deer. Try it you like it.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:20 AM

Do some scouting and see what the place happens to produce.

Quick Reply: Would you or wouldnt you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.