Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Everything you wanted to know about the Wisker Bisquit rest and more >

Everything you wanted to know about the Wisker Bisquit rest and more

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Everything you wanted to know about the Wisker Bisquit rest and more

Old 02-01-2004, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Everything you wanted to know about the Wisker Bisquit rest and more

EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT THE WISKER BISQUIT

With all the questions and comments about the wisker bisquit rest I thought I would write this up to help those understand how the rest works, and what steps you need to take to get the most out of it. These are just my opinions based on a full year of using the WB, and things I have discovered about it.
First the Pro’s and Con’s of the rest.
The Pro’s include simple reliable performance. No moving parts, springs, cables, wires or anything to freeze up or fail at the wrong time. Your arrow stays on the rest at all times, ready for action. It is very simple and easy to tune and provides excellent arrow flight, provided you trim it properly and use the right fletching. It is quiet when you draw back, provided you use a slick finish carbon arrow, and the arrow won’t fall off the rest onto your bow riser.
The Con’s of the rest include fletching wear, possible loss of speed, limited number of fletching that work well and hold up to repeated shooting, Also with some bows with lower brace heights you will not be able to shoot 5” fletch without them “poking” through while the arrow is nocked and the bow is un-drawn. It can also be a little noisy when drawing aluminum or rough finish carbon arrows across it.
I have found that in order to get the best performance from the WB you will need to trim the rest some. How much depends on the style of arrow you shoot. For larger diameter aluminums I like to trim both the front and back “flat”. You can go to the Carolina archery products website and see pictures and an explanation of how to trim the rest. For ICS type carbons I have found that you can really only trim one side, any more and you won’t have enough support for the arrow and it can fall between the bristles. For the “skinny’ style carbons I have found that you can only get away with minor trimming before you run into support problems. The more trimming you can do, the less the bristles will effect arrow flight, and speed loss will also be minimized.
For fletching I have found that 4” seems to work best. Feathers will do well, but the top edge will get “scalloped” over time, and they do become a bit noisy when compared to feathers that have not been shot through the Bisquit. They do provide excellent arrow flight though. For vanes I have found that Arizona speed flyte vanes work the best. Standard Bohoning vanes also work well, and I have heard of people having good luck with the Flex fletch vanes. Soft vanes such as Duravanes and standard Arizona plastifletch just won’t hold up and become wrinkled quickly.
The key is to apply the fletching in a way that it will bond to the shaft and won’t peel off. I have had good luck with both fletchtite cement and the various super glues. When using the “super glues” clean the arrow shaft with a water/baking soda solution. Don’t use Acetone as this will weaken the bond between the glue, and shaft. When using fletchtite you can clean the shaft with acetone or your standard cleaners. Make sure to clean the shaft well, and following the manufactures instructions on how to clean the vane base. Allow plenty of drying time after fletching and use a dab of glue at the front and back of each vane or feather to keep the tip from peeling up. When fletching feathers I like to use the fletching tape. I have found it provides a good bond and works well, but that is a personal choice. I want to thank Cary Pickens at New Archery Products for the tip on cleaning the shafts with the baking soda water solution when using the super glues. It makes very good sense and allows for a strong secure bond.
Once the WB has been trimmed properly and your arrows fletched, it’s time to start tuning. I find that it is well worth the extra money to buy the deluxe version. It has both horizontal and vertical adjustments and makes tuning a lot easier, especially when compared to the original or drop tine versions. You can make one adjustment at a time and not worry about loosing another. The rest tunes the same as any other, just following the Easton tuning guide and your shouldn’t have any problems.
For speed loss I have found that the more trimming the less you will have. The more helical and the larger the fletching, the more speed you will loose. 5” feathers fletched right helical seemed to loose the most speed, while 4” straight fletch vanes lost very little. On average the 5” right helical feathers lost 6 fps, and the 4” feathers and vanes lost 2 to 3 fps compared to a standard prong rest. The 4” straight fletched arrows lost only 1 to 2 fps. Remember though this is after doing the trimming.
The bottom line is that is you like the advantages of the WB, and are willing to change the style and type of fletching on your arrows to match well with the rest, it works great. The speed loss is minimal, but it does happen. Spend the extra money and buy the deluxe version to save yourself some tuning headaches. I also have found that for overall balance aluminum and ICS type carbons work best. The “skinny” carbons do work, but you won’t be able to do as much trimming and the arrow can still sometimes “slip” between the bristles. I have also found that you can shoot the aluminum bisquit with the ICS carbons and still get good accuracy. I do however recommend following the Carolina archery guidelines when choosing the correct size for your arrows. This will give you the best results in the long run.
All and all I think the Wisker Bisquit is an excellent rest for the bowhunter, but to get the most out of it you will have to pay attention to the details of your setup. Choose the right fletching, trim as needed and tune your bow properly. For the 3D or tournament archer I don’t see any advantages to using this rest, and the drawbacks far out weigh any advantage you may find. For the bowhunter, I think the extra trouble is well worth it in the end. If you are considering this rest I suggest going to www.carolinaarcheryprod.com and reading over the site carefully. It should answer many of your questions, and to be honest I find their site to be pretty much right on the money with my personal findings.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:34 AM

Default RE: Everything you wanted to know about the Wisker Bisquit rest and more

nice review 5 shot........i love my whisker biscuit ,i shoot aluminum arrows they fly true and i get preety good speed from the biscuit.....can't go wrong with the biscuit.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:41 AM

Default RE: Everything you wanted to know about the Wisker Bisquit rest and more

I love mine so far, but having a problem with the vanes touching other spots and rubbing against things. I shoot carbon arrows through my aluminim biscuit and never trimmed it and it works ok. Good post.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks 5 shot,

I wanted to know more about the rest before trying it. That helped a bunch
Old 02-01-2004, 08:58 AM

It is very simple and easy to tune and provides excellent arrow flight, provided you trim it properly and use the right fletching.
I have found that you can easily get a 'false' sense of tune. Careful attention should be given to the arrow AFTER it leaves the WB.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for the info 5 shot - just printed it out
I have asked about the WB and gotten good info
I made up my mind a while back and will be getting the WB (i was waffling on which one - deluxe or drop tine) - I will be going with the deluxe (wish they had camo)
I hear the new versions are improved with softer bristles
Old 02-01-2004, 09:55 AM

It seems to me, that all the do's and don'ts, including all the recommended special requirements of certain other components, that follow the statement: "It is very simple and easy to tune and provides excellent arrow flight, provided you trim it properly and use the right fletching," beginning with the term "provided," indicates a contradiction of stated simplicity, reliability, and performance.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:00 AM

Another good thing about the biscuit is that you can adjust the knocks in any position. I was having problems with my fletchings hitting my buss cable so now I fletch my arrows with the cock feather out instead of up and I no longer have contact with my buss cable.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:55 AM

I really don't see what all the fuss is about.........bottom line is the WB is a great hunting rest, there is no way to dispute that. Too many people shoot them and are thrilled with the way it works to logically think any other way.

Just because it is a great hunting rest doesn't mean everyone will like it. Mechanical broadheads are great heads but no matter how great they are you will always find people to say they don't work or they are garbage. This may be due to stubborness, closed minded, or just plain personal preferences.

Maybe the WB isn't for everyone and that is fine but when I see people saying things like it slows your arrows, tears up vanes, and throws flight out of whack all it tells me is they have never used one for a long period of time. The speed loss is so minimal it's not even worth mentioning. My Patriot shoots 278 fps at 27" draw 65lb with a WB on it........your string silencers slow your bow more then a WB will. I have shot tons of arrows through mine and the vanes are fine and the arrows fly straight and true. I can group arrows past 30 yards with 2-3-4 blade broadheads of all different brands.........and it's quiet as a mouse fart.

What else is there?? Oh yea......there is no way or no position I can put my bow in and make the arrow fall off the rest. No big deal but a nice bonus.

My WB was put on and it shot great within minutes........needed a little fine tuning and it was all set.

It's a great rest and I recommend that if you are looking for a new hunting rest that you try one if you can...........mine cost $50. With the prices of rests out there today the price of a WB is an absolute steal IMO.

I have shot prong, drop away and now WB..........while the other style rests are adequate.......all things considered I will be using a WB in the woods.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

5 Shot

Thanks for the review. I enjoy hearing first hand experience
on the pros and cons of a product...especially one that
I'm considering using. I've long considered the WB,
really feel it would be a asset with all the ground hunting
I do. I'm currently using Trophy Takers on both my bows
and have no complaints except the fact that if something
goes wrong in the field or on a hunting trip I have to take
it in to a bowshop as I am unable to set it up myself. Like
most bowshops I've frequented, mine has it's "favorite
products", TT being one of them. I haven't heard too many
upsides on the WB from friends at the shop. Your feedback
helps answer some questions I had.

Can you give me a link where I can pick up some Arizona
speed flyte or Bohning vanes? Also, can Goat's Tuff be used
as a bond with these vanes?

Len

I have found that you can easily get a 'false' sense of tune. Careful attention should be given to the arrow AFTER it leaves the WB.
I,also,value your opinion, this statement makes me think
you may not be a fan of the WB? Is there something you
could share based on your experiences at your shop? I, for
one, would like to hear.

Thanks to all for the info[:-]

Quick Reply: Everything you wanted to know about the Wisker Bisquit rest and more

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.