Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Missouri deer hunting regs >

Missouri deer hunting regs

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Missouri deer hunting regs

Old 01-23-2004, 04:18 PM

Default Missouri deer hunting regs

There is some discussion in the state of MO right now regarding current deer hunting regs. Meetings have been held to get the publics opinion on how to manage MOs deer herd. Some options have been explored, and a decision is pending, probably in early May. Just wondering if any of you are from the great state of MO, and if so, what are your thoughts?

For those of you in other states, basically they are wanting to bring the population down some, but only in certain counties. Talks of puting antler restrictions, earn a buck, in which you have to tag a doe b 4 you can buy a buck tag, having to be drawn for a buck tag, and the like have all been discussed.

They are also saying that whatever is decided for firearms season, will also be incorporated in the archery season.

I personally hunt in units that will be affected,and units that will not be affected, so kind of confusing....

just wondering your thoughts
Old 01-23-2004, 08:21 PM

Default RE: Missouri deer hunting regs

I hear you. There's nothing more frustrating than having to worry about crossing a road and something that was legal, all of a sudden isn't. Oklahoma is like that as far as when you can shoot a doe.

Good luck to you guys, if your regulations booklet is anything like ours are turning out to be, you'll need to hire an attorney just to figure out what's legal, when, where, and how.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:18 AM

Im from MO but I dont think any of the units are where I hunt. I personally wouldnt mind a point restriction, and maybe the earn a buck, but the idea of having to be drawn for a buck tag sucks. I hadnt heard of any changes in the archery season, but I hope it doesnt change, I like the new unlimited bonus tags for does, even if I didnt get to take a lot of does this year, just had a lot of bad luck. Im ready to hear whats in store for this fall, hope its good and not just a pain in the a$$
Old 01-24-2004, 04:16 PM

I am from the SW corner of the state and I wouldn't be to opposed to killing a doe before a buck but I would prefer antler restrictions like PA has. That way if a monster comes out before I have had a chance to kill a doe I could still shoot him. I know we do need to let the smaller bucks walk and kill more does. I don't have a problem shooting does. I usually kill 2-3 a year but I know lots of people that won't shoot them. I have also heard something is going to change but I have not heard what it will be.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:37 PM

im from Missouri i heard about this but what units will be affected im assuming north of 70 but dont know for sure

i would like the draw for a buck idea and also if we would move the gun season so that it wasnt right on the rut that would be good also but that is a differnent topic all together
Old 01-24-2004, 05:37 PM

oh yeah antler restrictions are good too
Old 01-25-2004, 04:57 AM

I am from the N.W. part of the state, and I too have heard all of the rumors about changes being made in the harvest of deer here. But, I think that is all they are for right now, just rumors. Th MDC has always had little forums around the state to listen to, and take into consideration, the way they manage all wildlife in the state. I am thinking they would lean more towards having the season set later away from the rut, or making the whole state, or in parts by unit, shotgun only, before they put restrictions on buck harvests by way of point restrictions or "earn a buck" method.

I know that enough hunters have voiced an opinion about they way the MDC focuses on deer management, and little else. Now, the MDC has a bigger chore at hand by return the quail population back to what it was a short while back.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:24 AM

I'm not from MO but in Ky we have been trying a spread limit on some WMA areas of 15", it hasn't really worked because many hunters will shoot first and decide later. Before you start killing all your does, first make sure they need to be thinned, second think about WHAT DO BUCKS LIVE FOR, if you thin your does down too far you will have a hard time finding your bucks. The problem we have had in KY is the over estimation of the herd and lack of law enforcement for the regulations passed. Just my opinions.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:32 PM

the only problem I really have with the antler restrictions is that I take my 12 year old son hunting all the time. He killed a nice 5 pt last year, his first deer ever, and under the proposed new rule, he would not have been able to shoot this deer. I dont mind passing one up, but that is a real trophy for a kid....I dont know what the answer is , but I do think we need to do something.

thanks for all your opinions
Old 01-25-2004, 07:41 PM

Yea, there is definately a problem with too many deer. Lately, I've been seeing around 20 deer a night feeding in a field by my house. All does unless a few bucks started shedding but there are so many deer around my house that something needs to be done.

Quick Reply: Missouri deer hunting regs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.