Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is this alright? >

Is this alright?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is this alright?

Old 01-19-2004, 07:56 PM

Default Is this alright?

When I shoot I aim at a point of the target ( a couple inches away from the bullseye) I then move my bow up to the bullseye fast and release. Is this a case of target panic? Would this work. I usually just let the bow "wiggle" in my hand and when the sight is on I release. Would aiming away from the bullseye and then moving the bow to the bullseye decrease accuracy? Thanks
If you don't understand what I'm saying here is a drawing.
I aim off the target. (target-() pin-. ()
I move my bow to the bullseye and when the pin is in the X I shoot. (.)

(I had to draw those lines,-----------, because if I didn't have them there the diagram wouldn't line up. Just ignore the lines. The period after the line is my site pin.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Is this alright?

Don't try to force the pin to the spot. Instead just let it "float around" the bullseye and squeeze the trigger and let it shoot itself.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:42 AM

I used to do that and found that I was more accurate the way below.

I have trained my muscles to hold the pin right were it needs to be. Though this seems impossible over time it can happen. Of course there will be movement but if you can control it better your shots will be better. Once I'm steady and the pin is on target I squeeze the release trigger just like a rifle. By squeezing the trigger and not knowing when the release will happen my aim has to be perfect.

I assume by what you are doing is target panic because you are punching the release when the sight gets to the center.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:50 AM

I can't aim right at the bulls eye or else I shoot high sometimes because i'm too nervous trying to make the great shot. As soon as the pin is there, i release and admire my group.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:05 AM

I do the same thing sometimes (still haven't gotten my form down), but only if I am haveing troubles with releasing on target. After a few shots like that, I can hold steady on target much better. I don't know why... I seems to help while shooting, but not a good way to shoot (for me).
Old 01-20-2004, 10:12 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-20-2004, 10:52 AM

I move my bow to the bullseye and when the pin is in the X I shoot. (.)
Zak - Get out of that terrible habit and soon as you can!!!!

You will never become a great shot, you are headed straight down the Target Panic road to he!!. Infact you are probably there already

Learn and practice holding the pin where it need to be. The release should be a surprise - you can't do that with the drive by method.

If you cant get a complete surprise - atleast learn to squeze the trigger.

And hold that darn pin on the X
Old 01-20-2004, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got to agree with rack on this one - it's a bad habit that could lead to bad things. One of the most important points of shooting anything is follow through. With the pin wandering all over the place instead of being rock solid, there is less chance of a good follow through making more chance for a bad shot. JMO
Old 01-20-2004, 12:14 PM

One thing that I can add, because it has helped me....Is that when I start punching at the target....I am holding onto the bow too tight. After I shoot, I try and focus and letting the bow drop or in essence letting the top of the bow to fall forward. Thus keeping a loose grip hand. I have one of those rope wraps that I put my hand into, so it won't let the bow drop to the ground after I shoot. Hope that makes sense. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:51 PM

I can hold it on the X but I was wondering about this other habit. I will shoot and post groups.