Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many got busted this year? >

How many got busted this year?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many got busted this year?

Old 01-16-2004, 09:17 AM

Default How many got busted this year?

During opening week I had a deer work down a game trail that crosses my tri-pod for bow hunting. I have one shooting lane but the deer never made it. Instead the deer stopped in a stagging area waiting for the feeder to go off. During the stagging I got busted and can't tell you why.

However the deer was only five yards away so it probably busted me by scent. Then again this was the first opportunity I had shooting a deer with a bow and had fever bad it could have heard me breathing to loud. I never got to see the deer as the cedar tree in front of me is very thick and it was still a bit dark out.

Good Luck to you guy's next year.

Jason
Old 01-16-2004, 09:20 AM

Default RE: How many got busted this year?

didn't get busted for scent once this year, only one time did i spook at deer and it was because i was really trying to get him to come in. i was grunting loud at him to get his attention like 75 yards away and that didn't work so i busted out the horns. i guess he saw the movement of the horns cause he knew the direction that the grunts were coming from. oh well it was a little 6 pointer and the next time i hunted the stand i shot a nice 9 point there
Old 01-16-2004, 09:28 AM

I got busted plenty of times

Walked up on a few on my way in and out

more then a few got wind of me at some point

one or two saw me

Then double what I know saw me - because I am sure others picked up on me without me knowing - or after I had left.

That number comes out to about 20 times or so[]
Old 01-16-2004, 09:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'd rather not discuss it for about 20 years.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:32 AM

Come one NY we need to know so we don't do the same!
Old 01-16-2004, 09:38 AM

I got busted 3 times:

1---three bucks coming in, the big guy on my left at 10 yds and the other two coming right towards me. I only had one shooting lane left that the big guy was just about to step in to. The other two bucks were facing me at about 15 yds. I knew they'd see me draw but I HAD to because it would be my only chance. I drew, the other two deer bolted and the big guy just stood there. Then he too turned and left.....left me all alone.

2---Had a small 8 pointer come in and was only about 20 yds away. I wanted to mess with him so I hit my can call. I guess it was too loud for him to not see any deer and he kinda looked at me, looked around and then left slowly.

3---Had a decoy out as a buck, 2 does come in. They're at 20 yds and coming right to my shooting lane. See the decoy, GONE.

That's it though. I got 3-D camo over the summer and I think that stuff is great.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

Got busted on dec 15, it was cold out that day about 4:15 a deer was coming through the blown down tree"s it was a 6 pt when it was 20 yrds out I put my bow up in the ready position but didnt draw yet. at 15 yrds I just started to draw but out of the corner of my eye I saw another deer coming, amuch
bigger deer. The six must of seen me move my head or move my bow a little
because it stopped and looked right at me. the bigger deer kept coming it
was anice 8 pt. the 8pt stopped at 30 yrds and kept watching the 6 pt the 6
was stomping its feet, finally the 6 circled behind my tree when he did this I drew on the 8 my pinwas just coming in line with the bottom of his chest.
You have to remember I have been holding my bow up for about 5 min by
this time, I was shaking like a leaf, hands freezing ( no gloves on) heart pounding, anyway the 6 either saw me draw or winded me. The 6 blew at me,
I pulled the tricker before I was set, the 6 ran off, I missed the 8, I swore,
then I smiled because it was most dam excitng thing that ever happened to me
while hunting besides actually shooting my first buck with my bow last year.
I smiled all the way home that night infact Im smiling now, I will never forget it
as long as I live.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was never busted by scent that I know of. I have numerous deer on the same trail that I used and was never noticed. I had quite a few notice me by sight though. I hunted a stand on back to back weekends, shot one doe the first weekend then the same group came in again and the lead doe spotted me before they all got out of the brush and into my sohoting lane. Also had a young 6 pt. get a little spooked at me. I was sitting on the ground and he was 5 yards away from me. He never ran but turned around and headed back. This has been my best year so far in regards to the number of deer I saw and had in range.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Busted by scent and spooking deer while walking in a few times on afternoon hunts.

Two instances stick out in my mind. and both make me sick to my stomach![:'(] The first when I was climbing down from a chain on stand and a huge buck crossed the creek and appeared 30 yards away coming down the trail. The 2nd time was in another area a 1/2 mile away, and the same buck appeared with 6 does coming down a trail upwind of me...................he was not supposed to come down that specific, less used trail in the morning!!!!!!! []
Old 01-16-2004, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got busted opening day when trying to draw on a doe. A small buck had come from behind me that i didn't hear or see and was watching the whole thing, he then snorted and took off and that was the end of that hunt. I got busted several more times through out the year as well. I know they didn't see me move because i had my eyes on them the whole time so my guess would be they scented me and i don't have to say what happened next, snort snort, stomp stomp, bye bye, game over!

Quick Reply: How many got busted this year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.