Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I thought it would be harder. >

I thought it would be harder.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I thought it would be harder.

Old 01-13-2004, 05:26 PM

Default I thought it would be harder.

I was out shooting my PSE Fire Flite 33 bow and shot several great groups. I had 3 shots all within an inch at 20 yards. I thought it would be harder than this. I did have a 1 on 1 lesson with a pro and that helped. I am extremly accurate considering it was only my 150th shot with a compound bow. What is my problem? (If you could call it a problem) I just shoot so good. Im surprised with the accuracy. Has this happened to any of you?
Old 01-13-2004, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I thought it would be harder.

I have had my bow for about 8 months but i havent been shooting much lately because of lack of money and only having one arrow. Last time i shot i didnt do that bad. I had the same group within an inch. Had a few times when i was jerking the release alittle but not as bad anymore. The same time when i was shooting there was a guy who was a pro. shooting aside from me. He literally hit the bullseyes the whole time he shot at 20 yards. Found out when i talked to him and he gave me a few tips, he is on the Hoyt shooting team[:-][]
Old 01-13-2004, 06:01 PM
Dominant Buck

There's NOTHING to it.[:'(] In the beginning we have NO bad habits and no experiences. It's quite easy with proper equipment and a proper fit, a little tutoring and a known distance to do it right. As we progress some people get lazy, over confident, start punching triggers, start competing, start shooting at unknown distances, shooting from weird stances and places, get old, etc etc etc. A bad habit and pressure doesn't come all at once. We learn them and then they start haunting us. Sometimes(in my case about year 30 with a bow) target panic can strike. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh it's terrible to get rid of. Enjoy the feeling of perfection.... it won't last unless you're the next Randy Ulmer.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:03 PM

What is target panic?
Old 01-13-2004, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

You got that right Dave
Old 01-13-2004, 06:46 PM

When you shoot at your first deer with a bow you'll be saying "I thought it would be easier". Not trying to be a jackass but its a whole diffrent story when its do or no meat. Me personally I cant afford to practice to often.(bust my damn knocks off and wrip my fletchings all the time) Just do the same exact thing everytime no matter what the target is and you'll be fine.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:50 PM

Yea I was thinking I would be overconfident when deer hunting. I will practice all I can. Trying to shoot 20+ arrows a day.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:45 PM

zak either practice like crazy and lock that perfection into your mind/body or quit practicing so much so you dont screw it up!
Old 01-13-2004, 08:39 PM
Dominant Buck

TARGET PANIC.... it's just pure HE!!. That's what it is. It can take several forms but all have the same result. Total frustration, lack of consistancy of any kind. It manifest itself in several different ways too. Some people say they CAN'T get on target. They'll either lock up coming up to the target or they'll punch the trigger before they get there. Some people can say they're not going to shoot until they get the pin on target.... and no matter how hard they try they can't get the pin to settle on the target. Others find themselves moving up or down to get on target and just kind of panicing and shooting on the move. It can become a small case or a full blown meltdown. The one thing that seems to be consistant in all cases is loosing all concept and feel of shooting with back tension. It's MAKING the shot happen instead of letting it happen. It's concentrating TOO much on THE PINS and not enough on the SPOT on the target that you want to hit. It's MENTAL, Physical, and just plain unrelenting. THERE IS NO QUICK FIX. I've been there... I know. It has happened to world class olympic shooters and plain old Joe Schmo trying to tune up for deer. It has NO age barrier and is pure HELL.

Mine hit after 30 years of shooting. If I had been paying attention the signs of trouble were festering for over a year but I ignored them... after all. I was a great hunter with dozens of kills and could shoot half dollars all day. The year it developed I noticed the locking up below the bullseye. I compensated and became proficient at shooting with the pins on the move. It can be done ....... for a WHILE.

I used to shoot NFAA tournaments for years in Georgia. I thought I was used to pressure shooting. Nothing could have prepared me for the Meltdown in PA. I had quit shooting tournaments about 20 years ago. About 15 of us from MD, PA and Delaware from another message board decided to meet in PA for an early friendly 3D spring shoot. I'm hear to tell you, I had never shot 3D. I shot two partial practice rounds before I went to PA for the get together. Target Panic EXPLODED on me that day and stayed with me in full force when I returned home. It took me two months of shooting blind bales with my eyes closed and never looking at a spot, target, ANYTHING other than the inside of my eye lids. I finally cured the problem. It's a tedious cure that requires TOTAL discipline... no shortcuts. Just image never shooting at anything with your eyes open or further than 8 feet away EVERYDAY for 2 months. Even still I sometimes feel a glitz and will shoot some blind bales to reinforce form.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just started bowhunting a little over 4 years ago, and honestly when I bought my bow and started shooting was surprised at how easy it was. I thought it was about like shooting a gun. I killed the first 5 deer I shot at. Have messed up a few times since, though.

Quick Reply: I thought it would be harder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.