Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Turkey bowhunters? >

Turkey bowhunters?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Turkey bowhunters?

Old 01-13-2004, 09:25 AM

Default Turkey bowhunters?

Hey y'all,
Wanted to see how many of y'all have taken turkeys by bow in SC or elsewhere and what gear you use. I took 2 nice birds on WMA last year using a 2" cut Rocket mechanical but each time had complete pass-thru (the vitals)and had to end up chasing the birds...thankfully both recovered. What am I doing wrong and is it possible to instantly drop a bird in his tracks using a bow?
Thanks
Old 01-13-2004, 09:32 AM

Default RE: Turkey bowhunters?

Check out my Post about Turkey hunting with a bow...
Old 01-13-2004, 01:22 PM
pup

i have killed 3 of them with a bow. yes there is a way to drop them in there tracks the first one i got the season before last i shot with a fixed blade i shot him in the neck at about 30 yards. he droped in his tracks. the second one i got was with a 1 1/2 in mech head i shot him in the wing at 30 yards and he went about 20 yards before he droped. the 3rd one i shot was with the same mech heads and he was about 40 yards walking away from me, i shot him in the center of the back and he just droped[:-] but if you dont want to get a pass through muzzy makes a this little grashopper add on that help to stop the arrow. i am using a razortec set at 60 pounds[:-]
Old 01-13-2004, 10:56 PM
Typical Buck

Turkeys are tough birds. Shot placement is the
only way to drop a gobbler in his tracks....and even
that, with the small margin for error, is no guarantee.

Your bow must be a "bone crusher", getting pass-thru's
with a 2" cut. As long as you're recovering the bird, I'd
say stick with what works. I've taken gobblers with
Spitfires and Rocket Sledgehammers. The Rocket in
the pic has a 3 1/2" cut @ 150 gr. I haven't had it happen,
but several of my friends at the bowshop say their
gobblers dropped like a 'sack of flour' when hit with
this monster BH.....and no pass-thru's, even
with a couple 70+ lb setups.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your best bet for stopping turkeys is to use a setup so you don't get a complete pass through. A arrow stuck in the bird prevents the bird from running off, or worse yet flying away. Its recommended to crank your poundage down, and use a tip that'll slow penetration. I use my bow for both deer & turkeys, as the seasons run together in the fall here in NY. I leave my bow at 60lbs, I use NAP Gobblergetter broadheads. I arrowed 2 turks this fall with the setup, and neither went out of sight from the hit.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:34 AM

Preciate the help fellas.
I am shooting a Parker UL 35 at 31" w/ 70# draw...chronos at 278fps w/ 395gr setup...think I will go with the monster mechanicals...pretty impressive stuff, 2 beards!
Old 01-14-2004, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

I shot 2 turkeys last spring with a 1.5" rocket sidewinder. Both birds were hit in the wing butt and died fast. 1 ran a short distance and was done. The 2nd one flipped up in the air and didn't move. Both pass throughs.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:19 PM

HAVEN'T DONE IT YET, BUT TO ME THAT IS THE ULTIMATE CHALLENGE, I LIKE SHOOTING THEM TO MUCH WITH A SHOTGUN, BUT I THINK NEXT YEAR I WILL TRY WITH MY BOW IF PA HAS THE EXTRA TURKEY THAT WE ARE SUPPOSE TOO. GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:45 PM

HELLO SCBOWHNTR. I USE THUNDERHEAD 125 GRAIN BUT I PUT A WASHER UNDER THE BASE OF THE BROADHEAD. HAVE NOT LOST A BIRD YET. TAKE CARE AND SAFE HUNTING
Old 01-16-2004, 07:33 AM

Triplespool,
What sized washer and does it affect arrow flight?

Quick Reply: Turkey bowhunters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.