Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Magellan GPS

Old 01-12-2004, 04:46 PM

Default Magellan GPS

All this talk about GPS really makes me want to get one. I've nailed it down to the Magellan Sportrak Pro or the Sportrak Topo. The main difference is that the topo comes with some topo maps in the basemap and also come with the CD. Anybody have experience with either of these? Is the topo software worth it? I want to know as much as I can about the topo software, so anybody who owns it can you please tell me about it? The GPS tracks your path automatically, right? Does it really float? Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:19 PM
Kip
Fork Horn

Default RE: Magellan GPS

MatthewG, I just got the topo software for my Magellan Meridian Gold yesterday. I am very UN-impressed with it. The topo contour lines only show every 100 feet of elevation change.[:@] So, if you are hunting in a relatively flat featureless area, it will be worthless.
The topo software does, however, show the majority of the old logging roads, 2 tracks, and streams/creeks. The topo software is the same as the street/destination software, with the addition of the topo lines. If I were to do it over again, I would probably still buy the topo software, due to the fact that it has all the same features as streets/destinations, with the added detail of small roads.
With that being said, I may change my mind on the detail of the topo features once I plug it into the GPS and use it, but on the computer, its a definite bummer.

Will it float? Sure will, but I dont know for how long. Hopefully I never have to find that out.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Magellan GPS

I bought the Sporttrak Map model back in November and got the mapping software in addition to just the GPS unit. As Kip made reference to above, the contour lines are basic and not very specific. I have found several "discrepancies" in my area where a more detailed representation would have been more accurate. However, detailed roads/streets through every area are clearly listed as are almost all of the bodies of water (large and small) in my area.

I think it is worth the investment but just don't expect too much.