Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let's take a poll, how many have ever Spine shot a deer? >

Let's take a poll, how many have ever Spine shot a deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let's take a poll, how many have ever Spine shot a deer?

Old 01-08-2004, 09:09 AM

Default Let's take a poll, how many have ever Spine shot a deer?

I was just thinking about how many people actually take shots literally straight up and down. My dad got his first deer this way. (but he had to shoot it again, and finally drown it in a creek near by) If it was up to me, if a monster buck came under my stand, i might have to clinch my gut and let him walk out to see if i can get a better shot, i wouldn't want to wound him either.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:10 AM

Default RE: Let's take a poll, how many have ever Spine shot a deer?

I've done it twice, but on accident each time, my shot was high and luckily hit the spine.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Once by accident. The deer dropped in his tracks but I had to take another shot to finish the kill.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Once, hit high, dropped her like a ton of lead bricks, had to stick her a second time to finish the job[:@]
Old 01-08-2004, 09:53 AM

As of today this has never happened to be while bowhunting. Only once while hunting witha firearm.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:32 AM

Never done it, bow or gun.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Once and while the deer was running a doe. The buck came straight at me and I led the buck with my arrow. Had to finish it off with another arrow.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've done it twice in the past by accident. Both deer were very nervous and ducked when i shot and the shot hit high in the spine and both deer fell instantly and began bellowing very loudly and required a second shot and one i had to shoot three times, not a pretty sight or sound. I always aim just a little lower than normal now if the deer is acting all nervous and jumpy and it hasn't happened since. I would never intentionally spine shoot one.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:44 AM

I've done it twice. Once was with a doe standing directly below my stand, the arrow passed through the spine, down through the chest and heart and just about 4 inches out of the breast plate. She was the quickest kill I have ever made gun or bow. The second was a buck at 35 yards and I hit high, needed to use a second arrow.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

I've done it multiple times. There is nothing wrong with this shot. I shot a doe standing right under my stand. I put the arrow right between the blades and split her heart in half. I shot one walking away from me at 15 yards. I put the arrow right through the sine and out the bottom of her chest. Dropped her in her tracks. I've waited for deer to turn after walking under my stand, only to have them continue and never get a shot on them. I would take it in a minute.

Quick Reply: Let's take a poll, how many have ever Spine shot a deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.