Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Something to chew on.. >

Something to chew on..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Something to chew on..

Old 02-08-2002, 09:40 AM

Default Something to chew on..

Heres a question to get us back to the basics of bowhunting. I've hunted a 22 acre swamp in an agricultural area for a few years now. It is literally surrounded by soybeans and corn.(farmer does rotate crops).
I know this is a safe haven for deer in the area because it is the thickest cover around. A couple years ago the swamp dried up and I tried "scouting" in some parts I was on my hands & knees. I was amazed at the deer trails that weaved through it, mainly the narrowness of them. I have hunted the northeast corner of this swamp the past 2 yrs and have seen many deer travelling through it including some nice bucks(various times of day) this on days when fellow hunters who hunt close dont see anything. I can basically hunt the north,east and part of the west side. I prefer the east, that way the prevailing sw wind is in my face and the only thing behind me is a crop field and a road?farm. Heres the deal I can see things are going to change here in few years, Urban sprawl etc. I really want a chance at one of the nice bucks while I still have the privlege to hunt here. There are a lot of varibles to list but for the most part I think my best window of opprotunity is the first week of season. The only high spots in the swamp that I know of are around the edges and there is only 1 hedgerow leading out of it, thats on the S end and runs south across a road and to an alfalfa field. The east side where I intend to hunt has a couple giant oaks and some smaller scrub trees the later of which I intend to hang a stand. Armed with this little bit of info tell me if I"m on track or would you do something different. I plan to go in early and hunt all day. I have a satellite(sp) image of this area but dont know how to post to messageboard. Let me know and I'll scan it in at a friends. (hes real computer savy)Also leery about posting it to the entire world so maybe email a select few out-of- state master woodsman, can never be to secretive with hunting land nowadays.

Let me know if you have any more questions about habitat, behavior etc. Who knows, with your help I just may get a chance at a trophy. Thanks
Old 02-08-2002, 10:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Something to chew on..

Well I have not seen the area, but you give a pretty good description, how heavily traveled is the hedgerow? The reason I ask is if you are hunting early in the season, have the oaks dropped thier acorns that early? If the are in the process of dropping them while you are hunting them I would say you are onto something, but if the oaks have not or are not dropping thier acorns yet I would bet the hedgerow would be your best bet. Just my opinion, sight unseen.

The Tazman
Old 02-08-2002, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

Now this is a good ole fashioned hunting post!!! Is the area fenced in? How wide or thick is that hedgerow? Where do you see the most sign during rut? When do they harvest the crops in relation to your season opening? How swampy is the swamp...is it constantly wet or is it just a good thick,wooly area? I kinda like the area where the hedgerow runs into the swamp. What about a stand where they connect or even 20-30 yards down the hedgerow where you could get shots into both corners and get a good visual on the deer working the edges of the swamp and feed fields. It depends on the size of the hedgerow but it could be a could transitional funnel for deer going to the swamp or heading over to the alfalfa field. You would have to be a stickler on scent control but that shouldn't be a problem. I agree with you about hunting the edges in a situation like this though. If you go tromping around through there to the middle where you have a stand more than a few times, then IMO the biggin's will search for greener pastures. Once they harvest crops and disc the ground up, those oaks you mentioned might be a nice spot to set up. One thing is for sure, if it is a safe haven, and it sounds like it is, I wouldn't "over hunt" it if possible. The less pressure the better. Try to scout them from afar pre-season and get a stand in weeks before the opener. Come opening morning, you'll be waiting at the back door for him sneaking in to bed at first light. Good luck!
Old 02-08-2002, 05:53 PM

Don't ya just hate urban sprawl? It's like a cancer. Any how sounds like you have a nice setup here. I would caution you about over huntingit though. You have a good point about hunting it early in the season and cathing them off gaurd. However i would not over look the chasing phase and the rut. This is the time when the big boys drop their gaurd and are more apt to make a mistake. Good luck edge.

God Bless & Good Hunting
LM/NAHC
Member NRA
Member P&Y CLUB
Member Ducks Unlimited
Old 02-09-2002, 08:44 PM
Typical Buck

My gosh!!! Now this was a quality post. Here is a hunter going all out to post his hunting situation, terrain and everything and wanting advice on how to set up to harvest a mature whitetail buck and there are only three replies??? Give me a break! Edge...where are you at? Any comments to the brave three that responded to your post?
Old 02-09-2002, 09:09 PM

Well my dad is from Saginaw, grandpa still lives there.

I would be trying to scout from afar before season, trying to see where the deer, and the biguns are coming out to feed from the thick stuff. You may need to spend a couple whole days sitting on stand looking over the fields. Opening day check the winds and get into position in a stand or blind that would get you a good shot.

That would be the basic story I read about the guy who took the #4 MO state bow record. He watched a buck show up every day at the same spot for a couple weeks, got into postion, ended up getting skunked a couple days. Moved into some of the thick stuff and nabbed the buck while it was looking for him. Appartently the buck smelled the guy where he was initially, when he moved he nabbed the buck who was looking for him.

Hope that made sense. Kind of hard to tell without a drawing, maybe draw it up and scan that in instead of your pic if your worried.

--Jim
Old 02-09-2002, 10:24 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-10-2002, 09:26 AM

Hey guys, guess I found out who the real hunters are! Ha! Sorry for not posting earlier. I probably won't be able to post a picture till next weekend, so heres some more variables to consider. (I'll list a varible then underneath list more factors about each variable)

1. HEDGEROW IS ABOUT 20FT WIDE
- westside of hedgerow is owned by another farmer. Last year there was a gun hunter in that same spot you were talkin about Wolfen,(covers both corners) didnt hear any shootin in that area, hope he doesnt bow hunt. first year Ive seen any kind of deer hunter in this area.
2. THE AREA IS NOT FENCED IN.
over the years have seen many deer run to cover on other property.
3. THE SWAMP IS FILLED WITH LARGE POCKETS OF WATER 3 TO 4 FT DEEP.
the year it was dry we had a long drought.
I did notice deer going from the east to northwest through the middle of the swamp.
4. SWAMP IS SHAPED SORT OF ROUND WITH TWO FINGERS OR POINTS, ONE ON THE EAST SIDE AND ONE ON THE WEST.
on the south side of the east point there is a section of small 8 to 10" trees, many heavily rubbed over the years.(rubs face field edge)
5. THE 2 OAKS ARE AWESOME OLD TREES.
one sits almost in the corner of the southend of the point and east side,the other sits 20 to 30 yds south of that. there is a trail that runs on a diagonal sw to ne between them.(from swamp to field or vice versa)Oaks seem to big to wrap a stand around, lowest limbs 15 to 20 ft high. if i could get up on the limbs would be ideal,mossyoak breakup would blend in great.but I dont know if I could stand all day in them. permanent stand is out of the question I dont want to tip off fellow hunters of my setup.
6. WHEN CROPS ARE HARVESTED FERTILE AREA TURNS INTO A DESERT. AT THIS TIME DEER SIGHTINGS GO DOWN,HUNTING PRESSURE GOES UP.
the area literally turns from a sea of cover(corn) to nothing but dirt.the swamp not so much but the other woodlot my partner& buddie hunt. its pretty obvious that they go nocturnal lots of fresh tracks but no sightings. Thats why I'm focusing on the eastside of swamp its totally overlooked by hunters in my party. I guess its hard to get at because there isnt a two track that runs along the edge allowing them easy access like other areas on the property.

I'm going go look for some sheds.(at a different place) I'll check back tonight. Thanks for your replies. Oh and Siskiyou, you bring up a good point Ill have to mull it over.
Main factors to consider:
Not to tip off other hunters or the elusive whitetail!
Thanks again guys for all your help!
Old 02-10-2002, 02:00 PM

Hey edge these pockets of water that are 3 to 4 feet deep, are their travel coridors between them? If so how wide are they? Have you ever concidered a floating blind in one of these pockets of water? Re member Extreme whitetails call for extreme measures.

God Bless & Good Hunting
LM/NAHC
Member NRA
Member P&Y CLUB
Member Ducks Unlimited
Old 02-10-2002, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Send me that photo - I might be able to post it for you and I have a little experience with topo maps too.

I hunt a WMA here in Arkansas, 90% flooded (although average depth is probably only 1-2'). Its hunted hard, and the big boys love to wade/swim out to little island like high places, right in the middle of the swamp. I've always had this thought to find one being used (beds/scrapes - just obvious fresh big buck sign)and hang a tree stand nearby, and be there an hour before daylight and sit there all day. Just a thought you might want to explore yourself. Those bigger, smarter bucks - they're going to go into the thick stuff and bed - thats their sanctuary, and unless the rut has 'em going, thats where they'll be.

Quick Reply: Something to chew on..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.