Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Attracting Big Bucks >

Attracting Big Bucks

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Attracting Big Bucks

Old 01-05-2004, 09:55 AM

Default Attracting Big Bucks

What are some of the best ways for attracting big bucks? For the Early season, rut is pretty self explanitory but anyother normal day in the season, what are some good type of places to hunt, like in the woods on a field etc., or what are some of your own personal strategies, if you wish to share, that you use to attract bucks? Thanks!
Old 01-05-2004, 11:21 AM

Default RE: Attracting Big Bucks

no real way to attract just bucks, feed them if the does show up so will the bucks
Old 01-05-2004, 11:37 AM

Hang out in there bedroom, sooner or later they will make a mistake.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:20 PM

Concentrate on the food sources!!! Find out where they are heading to and from and set-up somewhere in between.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

Man ole Man the age old question wouldn't we all like to know!!!
Old 01-05-2004, 07:13 PM

Attracting big bucks without a hot doe?? Hard to do in my part of the country!!!If the bucks are not in rut, you are restricted to food sources, bedding areas, and hoping for daytime movement.Hunt funnels , corners, etc in these vicinities, and hunt them carefully and strategically. It's easy to blow it, so hunt smart. Since there is usually some phase of the rut going during most states' archery seasons, it might not hurt to keep the following things in mind.Especially since what you're really after is success on big bucks. You never know when a doe might be coming into estrus early or late, outside the usual time frame for the rut, so I remind myself of these things all season long, and it definitely helps me be more succesful. Maybe some of it will help you. I know it's more than what you asked for, but it's free and it never hurts to be reminded.

1) You have to be proficient with your bow. What good does it do to get a big buck in close if you fall apart and blow the shot?? It helps me to shoot a few does in early season to get "in the zone", and the other thing you have to do is continue to practice through the season! So many guys practice until bow season opens then don't practice anymore. Then in mid-November they get a shot and miss terribly and wonder why. Practice , practice , practice.

2)Hunt as much as you possibly can. Anything can happen at anytime. Assuming you can read and interpret sign adequately, the only thing between you and a shot oppurtunity is time. The more time you spend in the woods, the more your chances go up. Painfully obvious , but often forgotten.

3)Don't burn yourself up in October and then can't get out of bed in November when the big boys start moving! MOST guys I know are hard-core hunting machines up until about the end of October, then they get burned out and don't go just when things are really heating up! Like I said, anything can happen at anytime, but November is the BEST time! Spend every possible second you can in the woods during this time.

4)Now to the meat and potatoes of your question. NOTHING attracts big bucks better then hot does. Find and hunt the areas with CONCENTRATIONS of does, IN NOVEMBER especially, but all other times as well, and then it's just a matter of time.This means constant scouting to stay on top of changing food sources. I have taken several mature bucks, and when I look back they were ALL taken in November, even though I hunted October just as much. Can you kill a big one in October? SURE. But the odds are not as good as they are in November. So if you're gonna burn yourself up bowhunting, do it in November. That's when your most likely to load a hog in the truck! So as far as attraction goes, nothing beats a hot doe, especially on mature bucks, but just be sure you're prepared when that oppurtunity comes up. Like Stan Potts said, " You dot all the i's, and cross all the t's, and you'll be more succesful". Just don't forget the does!!!
GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 01-07-2004, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

food source in the early season.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well to be honest anything that attracts a deer will also attrack a big buck, attractants are not what gets you a big buck, it is good scouting and stand placement.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:54 AM

Well....to attract them you still have to get on top of them.

And if you are on top of them - you don't really need to attract them.

No attractant in the world is more important than solid stand placement when it come to mature bucks. You cannot attract what is not there.

Personally I like to hunt the most important attractant to mature bucks - and that is thick cover.

When that cover is sprinkled with a few does, and the rut is on, big deer die
Old 01-07-2004, 06:05 PM

Thank you for your reply's... i guess instead of asking how to attract them i should have asked how to get closer to them..my fault[8D]

Quick Reply: Attracting Big Bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.