Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 HUNT RUINED BY DOG!!! >

HUNT RUINED BY DOG!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HUNT RUINED BY DOG!!!

Old 01-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HUNT RUINED BY DOG!!!

My main question is how do I aproach my neighbors without sounding like an a$$hole.
Dave, a very valid question. Some dog owners may not realize that it is going on. I would suggest telling them politely that their dog is indeed running loose, and include if you saw the dog actually trailing deer.

If the neighbors don`t care, or worse show an attitude about it, I would pursue EVERY legal action against them.

Many good points have been made concerning the reasons NOT to shoot a dog. I blame the owner, and have no problem doing what I must to end the problem ASAP.

BTW, back in the 70`s and early 80`s, the PA game commission said it was your duty as a licensed hunter to shoot any dog witnessed running deer.

People who allow their pets to run wild are not on my christmas card list, and I have no problem telling them graphically!
Old 01-01-2004, 04:54 PM

Another consideration for those who would shoot the dog is legal liability. I have been told by both GW's and local police that anyone taking that kind of action would open themselves to a lawsuit from the dog's owners, as well as legal charges. Additionally, if the owners could prove that the dog were a trained hunting dog, the owners may be entitled to additional compensation.
Old 01-01-2004, 05:11 PM

mdbohuntr - I'm glad to see you are learning from me already!!

Another thought on the dog: If the owner is unknown, or doesn't want to help with controlling the dog, and if there were not sufficient legal options, then I would also have to look at the welfare of my deer herd. This is absolutely the WRONG time of year to have a herd of deer stressed out by loose running dogs. With that in mind, I would get it resolved quickly if possible, but if I had no other feasible alternative, I'd rather shoot the dog than to allow him to cause a lot of stress to my deer. I don't want either to happen, but it's like someone breaking into my house. I don't want to shoot them , but I would before I would let them harm my family. An extreme analogy, I know, but it gets the idea across.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:58 PM

I have a friend that shot his own dog this year because it followed him to his treestand. If he can shoot his own dog, surely you can shoot somebody elses. If it causes that much of a problem, I would not have any trouble shooting it.
cough[bullsh1t]cough
Old 01-01-2004, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

We have wild dogs in the hills around my place, alot of crossbreed ones,and some of them are not very nice if they get up close,a mate of mine had a run in with two who wanted to rip him up they learnt the hard way.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the national forest that borders my property that is open to public hunting. Every once in a while my 2 Killirians bear dogs get out of the pen or make a run past me and get out and run away and then they come back an hour or so later, I NEVER let them intentionally run loose but they do have collars on them and you can tell they are not ferals, but I can tell you one thing if I heard a shot come from out back I would investagate and if I found out if you shot my dog, I would literaly take your rifle away and wrap it around a tree after I got done whipping your a$$ and there might be enough of you left to take to the hospital, but it wouldn't be me as I would leave you there to suffer as the scum as you are and deserve. If you shoot someones dog you just may met someone like me and I won't be very nice. [:@] Bobby [>:]
Old 01-02-2004, 08:49 AM

well said C903 and eastwood!

vb.kiwi - if there is a chance of injury then i wouldnt have a problem taking one out, just make sure there is no collar!
Old 01-02-2004, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

this year during a couple of archery hunts i had dogs chasing turkeys....i was so hot, i almost did shoot one of them , but they had collars on, so i spread the word, didnt do any good....the dogs are still out there chasing and killing deer(seen em), but they chased one in front of flhuntress and she got the shot, they helped her, ruined my hunt...but it's not the dogs fault, it's the owners, i personally would be nice at first then if that didnt work, i'd would not care if i was an a$$hole or not....something would be done about it, i dont walk 3 fricking miles to get away from everyone , just to have dogs ruin my hunt, especially trying to get the turkeys, that got my blood boiling....i personally would try to get them and take them to the pound when i wasnt hunting, but i wouldnt shoot one, even though i would be tempted.....
Old 01-02-2004, 10:26 AM

Another thought on the dog: If the owner is unknown, or doesn't want to help with controlling the dog, and if there were not sufficient legal options, then I would also have to look at the welfare of my deer herd. This is absolutely the WRONG time of year to have a herd of deer stressed out by loose running dogs. With that in mind, I would get it resolved quickly if possible, but if I had no other feasible alternative, I'd rather shoot the dog than to allow him to cause a lot of stress to my deer.
capt bs ...what are you running a deer farm, your deer? they are wild animals they can deal with a couple dogs running through the place ...it ain't no different than other predators moving through the area.

Ask a farmer what 'reality' and 'common sense' are all about when he's got 'pets' running loose on his property, chasing game animals and livestock, killing his chickens and such. C903, I'm afraid your version of reality and common sense is a little too citified.
Arthur ...this post ain't about ranchin/farmin and destroying with a mans livelyhood, its about dogs interfearing with a mans weekend recreational activities.

I don't shoot pets but have been told by dog wordon & game officer two diff. people that for them to do any thing they have to have it on camera so there can be no it's not my dog they don't have time to chase every call and about 1/2 of them they can't do a damn thing about as because they can't prove it was thier dog.
PS: I have been told by the game com. to shoot it and forget it end of story....
fastfire. no game warden in their right mind would recommend that you shoot someones pet. i think you should verify the game warden's position on this matter by contacting his supervisor.

anyone who shoots someone's dog for chasin deer is a frekin a$$hole. ask around, find out whose dog it is, explain the situation, if they don't keep it under control after that report it to the dog catcher or jerk a speed bump on the owner's head ...he should understand your situation after that.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:35 AM

If a Demestic dog is running on your property cacth in a hava heart trap, beat it with a deer hide and send it on its way, you will never see that dog again. Worx for me

Quick Reply: HUNT RUINED BY DOG!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.