Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Calling a doe... is it possible? >

Calling a doe... is it possible?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Calling a doe... is it possible?

Old 12-29-2003, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Calling a doe... is it possible?

Tonight I had two nice does pass by about 50 yards. They had no idea I was there but were on a mission to go elsewhere. I doe bleated to them but to no avail. They heard it and looked over but didn't care at all. I have called to many does over the years and have had them look at me, not spook, and not care at all. There is 3 days left of MI archery and I would like to bag a doe for the freezer. Is a doe bleat not the call to use? Have any of you had success in calling does with good response? What's the best method to call them? Thanks.
Old 12-29-2003, 06:34 PM

Default RE: Calling a doe... is it possible?

Fawn distress call. It doesn't always work and it's best for early season, but I called a doe in and shot her the 3rd weekend in January last year.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

probably had an unlisted number
Old 12-29-2003, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

A-Ways Bowgrunter Plus works great when
trying to reach does,etc. on a social level![8D]
Old 12-29-2003, 08:45 PM

They can have an attitude (like all women[>:]).

I have not had much success either, but I havn't tried much. Usually I'm wanting them to go away before they bust me and alert the others.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm truly amazed the fawn-in-distress call worked in late January. Even Will Primos says that after October, you can usually hang it up. I can't even get it to work then usually. It's an awesome rush in June and July, though! (They come in at Mach 3!!)

I have called does over to me at various times throughout the year -- even late-season -- by using a short, contact grunt. I don't use a very deep, guttural "old-buck" grunt, but I don't try to make it sound too "doe-ey" either. Something like you'd imagine a 2-year-old buck making, with short second-long bursts, usually three times in succession. Had a big, mature doe coming at me last week using that same calling sequence.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:18 AM

As stated before, the Fawn Distress is the best for calling does. Usually only works in early season.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Fawn Distress
This works great in early season and late for me. However around here it is not uncommon to see spots on deer up until January. Crazy breeding habits I suppose. Also a social grunt works well.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

I have called does before but on a rare occassion. It seems when they here a bleat, they will look. If they don't see anything, then they just go on their way.

I think a decoy can do wonders!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2003, 09:04 AM
CG

While coyote hunting (using fawn distress and rabbit calls which are very similar in sound), I've called in does (whitetail and muley) from october through march and LATE (march) is as good as early. I think it is as much out of curiosity as anything but it is effective. Had does within 5 feet and also had does watch us walk out of our set-up and not leave......they act pretty silly when they hear that call......

Quick Reply: Calling a doe... is it possible?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.