Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Right hand left eye..... >

Right hand left eye.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Right hand left eye.....

Old 12-28-2003, 09:27 PM

Default Right hand left eye.....

I am right handed right footed and left eyed. I bought a bow with a peep sight. Will I be shooting all over the place. The bow is right handed.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Right hand left eye.....

I too am right-handed but left-eye dominant. I shoot rifles left-handed and wondered if I should get a left-handed bow but it didn't feel right. So I got a right-handed bow and had to force myself to look with my right eye but I got used to it quickly and now I don't notice it at all. It even feels like my eyes are evening out in the sense I don't have as much natural urge to close my right eye and look with my left. I'm not an expert but I would think you might want to pull a left and right bow and see how they feel. For me, I think it would have been more difficult and taken longer to adjust to holding the bow with my right arm and pulling with my left, although I'm sure it could be done if necessary. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

You'll be fine. Ideally, when you set-up you should use your dominant eye. People say it doesn't feel right, well of course it doesn't! But you change quickly and soon its natural. I switched after a bunch of years.

Good Luck!
Old 12-29-2003, 05:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

My friend shoots that way but doesn't use a peep sight. He uses a no-peep and shoots good groups. You may want to try that.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:46 AM

I am also right-handed and left-eyed and have always shot guns and bows right handed with no problems whatsover. I think it's just a matter of sighting in and getting comfortable with whatever you choose to do.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:13 AM

I did it for years, so did Howard Hill and Larry Yien and others. Just CONCENTRATE and you'll be fine.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:37 AM

I just found this out. I've been shooting right handed right eyed so I guess it's natural. I guess you can adjust the pins so you shoot good right or left.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm the same way. The only thing I do left handed is shoot a gun but I'm left eye dominant. Took a little getting used to but the right handed bow is shooting fine for me!
Old 12-29-2003, 01:03 PM

I disagree but as you can tell by other posts (and my last line), the human body can adapt. I found out I was left eyed at an early age (7) and my dad had me shoot left handed from then on. The key word here is "dominant" where your left eye is going to always want to take over in aligning your sight. If you can get over that you'll be fine.

Personally I find it to my advantage to have my strong arm (right) holding the bow steady while pulling the string back with my weaker arm (left). I never had a problem with left arm strength either.

However what is ironic is I recently had a left shoulder injury and might have to switch and shoot right handed if it doesn't heal properly. I'll have to change my Login name!!!
Old 12-29-2003, 01:08 PM

Sorry about your injury but the change the name thing was funny. LOL. I do shoot with my left eye closed, though.

Quick Reply: Right hand left eye.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.