Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 anybody with deer camp/lease rules? need input. >

anybody with deer camp/lease rules? need input.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

anybody with deer camp/lease rules? need input.

Old 12-22-2003, 10:46 AM

Default anybody with deer camp/lease rules? need input.

We are going to be writing up rules for our deer lease next year and want some input.
What are some lease rules that you need that we shouldn't forget? Maybe some you wish you had that you don't.
We have the basics just looking for some input. We have had some trouble this year but nothing was written down and signed so now we have to write rules even though you would think you didn't have to. Thanks
Old 12-22-2003, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: anybody with deer camp/lease rules? need input.

I'm in a deer camp, and lease with my father, and 2 brothers. Even though were family we kinda have some unwritten rules. However when we first started the lease with just a camper we had some other members that were just friends, and had some written rules. Payment due by 1/20. Everyone is to pitch in food $ when show up to hunt. Everyone is to pitch in and help out around the camp all season long, you don't help you don't hunt! Anyone wishing to bring in a quest to hunt has to first be approved by the other members, and a camp fee is paid by the guest. No more then 1 guest is allowed at a time. All members arriving at the camp will write in the camp log about their hunt, sightings, activities. That was pretty much it. The only rule I wish we had now that we don't as a family is, noone hunts any of my treestands!! My 1 brother has a tendency to hunt out of my portable when I'm not. But I don't hunt out of his in respect to his hunting spot.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:52 AM
Dominant Buck

I belonged to a few clubs when I was in Georgia. A lot of it depends on how much land and how many people you have. Here are some basic rules that we had in some but not all of the 4 clubs I blonged to. Most of the rules were a result of problems or concerns that came up over the years. Here ya go. Most rules were designed to allow an equal opportunity to ALL paying members to be successful and have a safe hunt. Stand rules were designed to stop a "Woods Hog" who had more time to scout from claim all the choice spots and lock up the woods.

1... No loaded guns in camp. No guns handled period. Put them in your gun rack in the vehicle or in a case
2... No drinking and hunting
3... No women in camp(other than family) We considered ourselves a family club and didn't want any wifes to question what went on on weekends at the hunting camp.(Violation... Immediate Expulsion)
4... No guest on opening weekend. One club was no guest for the first week and second weekend
5... Two work days minimum per year. You must attend one or pay a fine(substantial)
6... No drugs in camp(Immediate expulsion.. no appeal)
7... Being arrested for game violations may be cause for expulsion
8... Obey all game laws
9... Depending on land area each club had rules as to how stands were handled. In general a member could put up as many stands as he wanted. He could NOT put one closer than 100 yards from another members stand. A member could only claim as his own and no one could use 2 or 3 stands at a time. They were marked on the map with red pins. If he wanted to change and reserve a couple others he could just move his pin.
9A... All stands had to be marked on the map or they were considered abandoned or poachers. As abandoned someone could claim it.
10... Two clubs had mandatory sign in sign out sheets with your name on a pin you stuck in a map where you were going.
11... We had monthly meetings. All annual dues for the next year were due the first meeting after the close of the season.
12... Shooting a button... $50, 2nd button $150 and possible expulsion.
13... No walking in the woods during the season before 10AM or after 3 PM
14... One guest per member per trip
15... A guest was allowed only twice per year
16... Children under 18 were allowed to hunt on members membership
17... Children over 18 were allowed first shot at filling vacancies. Seems like we had a special exemption for children in college who were still dependant being allowed to hunt when they were home without being considered as a guest.
18... Another member may sponsor someone elses guest so that multiple parties could come. Again, you could only sponsor 1 guest at a time on your own.
19... Rack minimum points and sizes were instituted in one club. Violations $100 for first offense...$200 for second and possible expulsion.
20... Stands you didn't reserve could be used by other members on a first come first serve basis. Sign in sign out book allowed you to track stand usage and avoid overhunting.
21... Dependant children and wives were allowed to hunt whenever but were not allowed the priviledges of a full paying member with regard to stands. They could not reserve stands. They hunted their paying members stands or available non used stands. Paying members got first choice.
22... All kills will be recorded in the log book.

There are more I know but these are the ones I remember that evolved from problems or concerns over the years.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would add one more thing to David's list. I always like to limit the number of deer killed per membership. For example, you could have a member with let's say a pair of teenage boys. Now lets say the limit is 4 and all 3 limit out and let's say that member has brought a couple of guests that have each killed a deer. Now you are essentially looking at one membership that has consumed 15 deer. Very few herds can withstand this type of kill off. I would suggest that you limit all memberships to twice the individuals legal limit, as a maximum. In the clubs that I have been involved with in the past, if the limit was 4, we would allow 6 deer per membership. Also, you should include a no-littering statement.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:25 AM

Thanks davidmil for your time and experience. I think many of us can benefit from the sound advice you provided. I know our little group needs to make some changes prior to next season. Thanks to you, I can offer some suggestions that will solve our "minor" differences on certain matters.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:47 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-23-2003, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the help.
I really like the reserving stand and no walking around the woods.
Every deer but one was taken from one of my stands this year. I got out there early I did the scouting and the work and everyone reaped the rewards. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not totally stingy it just was a total bummer when I wouldn't be able to get out there until Sunday only to find out that 3-4 people have been hunting my blinds for two days. I knew I wouldn't see anything. I will say that I was the only one to get a good buck
We would have guys up walking around by 8am and coming back 30 minutes before dark...c'mon prime time...and I can't count how many times they did this.
Thanks again
Old 12-23-2003, 12:44 PM
Dominant Buck

We always held a mandatory meeting within a month of the close of season. All problems were discussed and worked out. We usually had a big cook out, beer drinking, go until it's all done deal. We had the meeting first. Things that couldn't be resolved were discussed over dinner. Rule changes were made and seconded. A majority vote passed and the rules became law. Violate and you pay or you go. All dues for the next year were due at that meeting. Proposed work dates were set etc. Just about every rule I gave you came about after several years of incidents and several members later. Voting in of a member required 100% agreement. Of course there were sometimes disagreements due to friendships, work associates etc... but we always got through it. Once we had the rules down in writing the memberships really didn't turn over. We went through some growing pains but it all worked out. One club was 3000 acres of Georgia Pacific land with 15 members. Another was 1,800 acres with 10 members. The 3rd was a 50 man dog club I joined so I could bowhunt their 20,000 acres before the dogs were turned loose. There were about 3 of us that still and stand hunted. Those were the days. We had the local head of St Regis in that club and we got a rediculous low rate. It wouldn't get you a 1/2 acre lot to hunt today on the free market. The most expensive lease was $250 each for the 3000 acres. And that was paying for one section and being given the key to 3 others no questions ask(a freebie) I do miss my Georgia hunting clubs. It was always fun.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here are our lease rules.

Rules are as follows:

1. Only Bow hunting will be allowed.
2. Only a sidearm will allowed for personal protection, no rifles, shotguns, etc…
3. Lease must be kept clean at all times. Trash and any other debris must be removed from the lease before departure.
4. If any fires will be built they must be made in some type of container or pit in the ground protected by some type of barrier to prevent additional fires.
5. No alcohol will be consumed prior to hunting or in the stand. Alcohol will be allowed in the camp area after the evening hunt. No hunting will be allowed during any consumption of alcohol.
6. During any hunt hunters must not walk or track into another hunters area without notice.
7. If any animal is wounded or hit and needs to be tracked hunters must contact other hunters to notify them of the event as soon as possible.
8. Game Allowed to hunt:
a. 10 point or better Buck or over 5 years or older. If a hunter is not sure how old a deer is take a picture and ask the other hunters to confirm.
b. Does without spotted fawns.
c. Pigs, Bobcat, coyote, wolf (unlimited)
d. Turkey (according to game book)
9. Game not allowed:
a. Button Bucks
b. Spotted Fawn
c. Any Buck below 10 point:
i. Spikes with 10 inch spike will be allowed
ii. Any buck that looks past prime will be allowed:
1. Must be confirmed with other hunters.
10. Guests of primary hunters must be approved by at least two other primary hunters with a week notice.

11. Only one hunting guest per visit.
12. Hunting guest must hunt off primary hunters tag:
a. If a guest kills a deer the primary hunter counts that deer to his tag and is not allowed to take any additional game other what his tag allows.
13. Guest must abide by all lease rules. Any violation will result in a permanent ban from the lease.
14. A warning will also be issued to primary hunter that invited guest. If the same primary hunter has another guest violate lease rules the guest and primary hunter will be banned from the lease permanently.

With Rule 12 even tho the State says we can take 2 doe's 1 buck.
Our Rule is if you bring a guest and they shoot a Buck then you are plum out of luck same goes if the guest kill 2 doe's.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:23 PM

Hey i like davidmils list.
i run a club of 2000 acres and i kind of have been saying common sense but after this year i have decided that really doesnt work.
i may use some of davidmil's rules and add one or two. a probation year is a must in my case. i am giving the boot to one guy for trespassing on my nieghbors lease's , putting a stand 20 ' from thier line, dumping gut's 100 yards from a members stand and he seems to think he has to have guests every weekend.
I have tried talking to this guy and he just don't get it. hunting is supposed to be fun so get rid of any trouble makers .

Oh and not to mention in oct i go to hunt my sacred bottoms and bam their are his two older teenage boys in my sacred bottoms![:@] after i told him that was a forbidden zone! he's gone!

Oh and no atv's two weeks prior and into turkey season. i lost four members on that rule last year. oh well!

Quick Reply: anybody with deer camp/lease rules? need input.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.