Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer runing into things that don't give. >

Deer runing into things that don't give.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer runing into things that don't give.

Old 12-21-2003, 03:18 PM

Default Deer runing into things that don't give.

A guy that I work with said that the buck he arrowed ran into a tree and broke it's neck. Has anyone experienced this.
A few weeks ago while taking my doe to the check station, I saw a doe laying next to a chainlink fence dead [X(] . It looked like she had come down the hill and out of the treeline at full speed and hit the fence [] , which was only 8 ft away.
Old 12-21-2003, 03:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Deer runing into things that don't give.

I was driving along a country road one time and saw a buck hitailing it across an open field. He was on a collision course for my truck so I hit the brakes pretty hard. The deer crossed the road and threaded the needle, so to speak, between me and another truck coming the other way. Missing both of us by just a few feet. I saw him enter the woods on the other side of the road and he must have hit a wire fence cause the next thing I saw was that deer completely air borne doing a complete foward flip and landing on the side of his head. He did get up and keep going. That was the funniest thing I have ever seen a deer do. Kind of like laughing at a stupid best friend after you know he is OK.
Old 12-21-2003, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

Back when I was drivin an 18-wheeler, I saw deer run into fences several times. it would just knock them down, and they'd get up and either go the other way, or jump the fence. I suppose it's possible his deer ran into a tree if he was disoreinted from the shot, but out of all the deer I've killed, I've never seen one do it.
Old 12-21-2003, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I read a story a couple of years ago about a girls first time deer hunting. She was praticpating in a deer drive as a stander and had a doe coming at her that the drivers jumped. She paniced and didnt know what to do instead of moving or shooting she stood there and the doe ran right into her. The doe broke its neck and died from the collision. The young lady was fine except for some bruises and the ODNR gave her a salvage tag for the doe so she could take it home with her.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep. The first buck I ever arrowed, ran straight into a tree and down he went! Fortunatly my buddy was within viewing distance of all the comotion and was able to back me up when telling this story!
Old 12-21-2003, 06:02 PM

the doe i got last year smacked into a tree, kinda funny and kinda sad all at once. lol
Old 12-21-2003, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

The first buck I ever shot I was 15, and I hit the 8 pointer at around 60 yards with my dad's .300 savage. The buck was running up a hill when I hit him, he circled around my tree stand and down the hill into some thick laurel. Being my first deer and him circling my treestand, I think I ran out of bullets but none came close to hitting him except the first one. Well we found blood and we went to find him. About 50 or 60 yards down the hill from my treestand we get to a place where there was a log laying across the trail he took, and we saw where he slid down the hill, not thinking anything of it we found my deer about another 30 yards away, but when we found him he had two broken front legs. So this buck took a real punishment by sliding down the hill at a dead sprint and he broke both of his front legs on a real thick log over the path. Sorry guys the post is soo long, but this is my lone experience.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a buck a few years ago and watched him high tail it right into a deadfall. When he hit it I heard a loud smacking noise. I figured it was a branch breaking. He got up and continued out of sight. It was starting to rain so I went right on the trail. I soon came upon the buck, still alive and trying to get up but kept falling down. I finished him off and when I was butchering him I found that he had broken his femur in two.......dabow
Old 12-22-2003, 03:37 AM

My son had that happen when he arrowed a nice 7 pt a couple of years ago. The buck bolted through a blowdown and hit a limb, knocking it out cold.

Another buddy of mine had shot a small 4 pt. and it ran smack into an oak.

It does happen.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Dad has had 2, a doe that died mid leap over a ditch, slamming into the opposite bank. And a buck that, ran into a tree seperating its shoulder.

Quick Reply: Deer runing into things that don't give.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.