Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What is your best skill??? >

What is your best skill???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is your best skill???

Old 12-20-2003, 10:10 AM
TWC

Default RE: What is your best skill???

ORIGINAL: davidmil

TWC.... when and where were you a Cavalry Scout? I served two tours in Vietnam with the 1st Squadron 1st Cavalry in I Corp. Also served a year in Hawaii with a separate Cav Troop as a platoon leader and XO and for a short time with them in Vietnam before going to the Cav. Scouts out.
I was a scout from 91 to 99. I served in the 3/11th ACR in Germany, 1/16th CAV in Ft. Knox, and 3/2 ACR in Ft. Polk. Nice to have a fellow Cavalryman on the board. Just something about the Cav that no other branch can relate to huh? I'm in the Guard now, but back to my first MOS, 52D (generator mech.). But I still have the Cav blood runnin through me. SCOUTS OUT!
Old 12-20-2003, 02:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Once in the Cav you're always Cav. I suppose you had all those new Bradleys and all that stuff. I started with M114s and went to M113s. We had M48A3 tanks in Vietnam in 68 but changed over to the Sheridans in 69 or early 70. Here are a couple oldies. Mouth of the QueSon Valley 1968

Old 12-20-2003, 02:45 PM

Holy Crap.....I served during peace time fellows. Thanks to all who served and those who serve today. Say a little prayer for all our servicemen who won't be with their families this Christmas. We got it way better back here in the nice warm computer room..................Jim
Old 12-20-2003, 03:05 PM

OOH, those were some tough times davidmil. Are you sure you were not on that flaming hill scoutin for deer? All kidding aside , Dave, thanks for your duty to our country. There is a lot of folks hunting today who tell stories about crappin their pants. Contempories, like myself, tend to know all about messin drawers and don't get overly shaky when a big one comes strolling along. God bless you. Jim
Old 12-21-2003, 10:21 AM
TWC

Started out with these, M3A2 Bradley Fighting Vehicle

This was the last vehicle I was on M966 TOW (iirc)

Old 12-22-2003, 10:33 PM

My strengh is that I am persistent. I work hard and then work harder. I scout and scout and scout. I do my best to pattern deer and then pattern hunting pressure as 90% of my hunting is done on public land. Also, I am quite perceptive in the outdoors. I think some people scout and don't really interpret what they see very well. I once determined a buck's change in travel route just by observing some kicked up leaves. I saw that at 10:00am and that buck was dead at 5:15pm.

My weakness is that I am lazy when it comes to practicing. I am proficient with my bow, but I don't practice year round. I do plan to change this bad habit. One other weakness I have is that I am gullible. You tell me that Joe Hunter got a big buck in Area B and I will be there the next day even though I have hunted there about a dozen times and never seen a buck there!?!?!?!? Then, I find out it was only a rumor.

TBO
Old 12-23-2003, 07:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have 2 strengths that compliment each other and a 3rd that is the one that gets me deer. I have a knack for being able to pick out the slightest movement in the thickest of cover, this leads to the second strength which is being able to quickly adjust by changing stand locations to take advantage of what I have observed. The 3rd strenght is persistance, I have confidence in my scouting and know that just because I didn't see a deer today does not mean I won't see one the next day.

David and every other Vet and active duty person out there, thank you!
Old 12-23-2003, 12:01 PM

What is my best skill? I can not put it in this forum, but here is a hint: it involves stalking, control and face paint! LOL Wait, what? OH, OH--you were talking about HUNTING SKILLS! Silly me....

I think I can all but eliminate my scent when I bowhunt. I've said for years that I think women can get rid of their body scent better than men and I think it has something to do with sweating. I see a lot of action bowhunting and I'd like to attribute it to scent control and patience.