Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 An all time FIRST in Maryland for me!!! >

An all time FIRST in Maryland for me!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

An all time FIRST in Maryland for me!!!

Old 12-18-2003, 10:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Default An all time FIRST in Maryland for me!!!

I went suburbia bowhunting this AM. 260 acre piece of land we effectionally call the zoo. I didn't see a solitary deer which is a rarity. What I did see really made my day. It had gotten light, the wind was blowing pretty good. I'm sitting there looking in the direction I feel the deer will come from. Then I saw it... I said dog or something... about 80 yards out. When it hopped up on this big blow down I said NOPE.... it's a DANG CAT... It's a GREAT BIG BOB CAT. Whoa Nellie!!! The landlord told me a couple years ago someone had seen one. I figured they didn't know what they saw. Well, I put the old Swarovskis on him and I "Tought I saw a Putty tat". His eyes were burning holes in me. He must have seen me reach for the binos. I'm all camo and sitting in the cradle of a triple tree looking between two, but he saw me. He turned on the log and walk away. HE dropped down behind the log. In a few seconds his head pops up and we're eyeball to eye ball again. He drops down behind the long. I see his back moving along behind it going away. He reached the end, pops up and checks me out... then slinks away. That bugger picked me off with the slightest of movement. He was traversing along behind a row of million dollar houses, but this wasn't any house cat. I got a good look at both ends and this was genuine bobcat. COOL. But I still saw NO DEER!!![:'(]
Old 12-18-2003, 10:18 AM

Default RE: An all time FIRST in Maryland for me!!!

That is cool! It really wakes you to the fact that some wildlife are much more equipped to be the predator than we are.

I've seen foxes close up and personal while sitting in my tree stand. They never knew that I was there. Because I stayed PERFECTLY still.

I feel that once your in their environment and they take no notice of you, you well on your way to being invisible to the deer as well.

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 12-18-2003, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

Bobcats, are alot of fun to watch, when you get to see them, which isn't too often!
They are great hunters, and very nocturnal usually, i bet the people in those million dollar houses, are missing alot of their pets!
Old 12-18-2003, 10:33 AM

i wish i could see one. only thing i see like that is raccoons. i had never seen one in the woods til this year when i started hunting a new farm and i missed one with my bow. thats one of the things i want to see: a bobcat and a bear!
Old 12-18-2003, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats cool David! I've always wanted to see one while out there. We've got a few of them running around our place in WV. I've heard them, and some of my buddies have seen them, but I'm still waiting. The only one I've ever seen was at night in my headlights.
So are they legal to shoot in MD? I'd love to take one with my bow and get it mounted. They are one neat animal.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:42 AM

My Dad and I have both tried shooting them .... and failed ! Very quick predators, coyotes are quick too, but nothing like cats are.

Don't you wish for a 35mm with a 300 mm limbs ?
Old 12-18-2003, 10:49 AM

I've seen two bobcats while hunting. I had one come in last year from directly downwind, stop under my stand and drink from a stream. I wanted to take him, but it was prime time and I didn't want to have his squalling scare off any deer. I don't know if I would have shot him anyway as I have a problem killing something I'm not going to eat. That said, I would still shoot a 'yote if I had the chance because they are way overpopulating my area. I see them chasing deer all the time. There are a couple of coy-dogs the size of large german shepherds out there too. I'm waiting for a chance at one of them.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is really neat...What a guy doesn't see when he is on the stand!
Old 12-18-2003, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Only bobcat I saw in the wild was a road killed one in Arkansas as a kid. Wish you had some pics David. I doubt if he would have posed though! lol.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

That bugger picked me off with the slightest of movement.
You must not have had your new ASAT on .
I saw on over in Centerville on the Eastern shore many years ago and told the group about it. They said I was crazy and still messed up from the night before but I know what I saw.

Quick Reply: An all time FIRST in Maryland for me!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.