Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What would you do? >

What would you do?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you do?

Old 12-17-2003, 04:48 PM

Default What would you do?

Im left with no choice. Its 2 times now. My best friend has shot a 1.5 old 5 pointer and a yearling doe off of my property and I specifaclly told him no 1.5 old bucks and no young does. I let him go after he killed the buck about a month ago. He told me he thought it was an 8 pointer. I pretended to believe him.The thing was about 10 inches tall and 12" high. Tonight he killed the yearling doe and if he cant abide by the rules he's gonna have to head to the the state woods and shoot gummers. I work with him and in the morning im gonna have to confront him about it. I dont want to but I have no choice.Ive been working so hard to manage the deer and its knuckleheads like him why the 3.5 and older bucks are so scarce around here. I was hoping you guys could give me a little info on what you would do.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:56 PM

Default RE: What would you do?

i'd confront him and let him know what the rules were and why. you should make sure that he understands you have these rules to increase the quality of the deer. if he don't like it he don't have to hunt there.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:58 PM

Fact remains that he's hunting on your land which you have rules on. If he can't abide by them or have enough respect for you and the rules you have set, he's just plainly being selfish and totally disregards you, your land and what you say. In my eyes and if it were my land, he would be gone...no questions asked. Especially that you already told him specifically not to shoot certain animals. Best friend? Not really that I see. Confront him about it and see what he says 1st. If he gets defensive....see ya. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you've already explained the rules to him ,then he's gone .Maybe he's testing you to see exactly what he can get away with.He obviously doesn't know nothing or care about deer management ,it's alot of work and it's guy's like him that spoil it for your other friend's who might care and who might follow the rule's but because of one guy it spoil's it for them all .THAT'S TOO DARN BAD FOR YOUR OTHER FRIENDS. IF it's my land HE'S OUT regardless of what he thought he was shooting B-LL SH-T.

nubo
Old 12-17-2003, 07:58 PM

This is how I look at it. If you were a game warden and he was doing somthing against the "rules" then you would right him up (which would cost money) possibly take his gear and or truck, (More money) then take his hunting privlages away anywhere for a period of time, (for me my life would almost be over, lol) just my 2 cents. I would basiclly ground him from your property for a season or two so he can learn to respect your generous hospitalitly.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Grounding him is too easy ,he has to know you mean it ...

nubo
Old 12-17-2003, 10:08 PM

Looks like your "friend" is selfish and doesn't care about you or your wishes. It also shows he has little respect for you. If he TRULY respected you he wouldn't have shot those deer. All he cares about is "gettin' one" so he can brag to his moron buddies. The fact of the matter is he's just using you for a place to hunt!!!
I wouldn't even confront him about it. Let me give you an example of what I would do:

First, I'd look for an oppurtunity to give him a dose of his own medicine, not because I would stoop to his level, but because he is my friend and I care about him and I want to try to help him become a better person,right???????

Edited out. Come on man, we don't need our children reading this kind of stuff.

By this time your friend is bound to say "Hey, what are you doing? Don't treat my place like that." That's when you'll remind him that your hunting property is as valuable to you as his home is to him, maybe more. And when he behaves differently than you ask him to he's no longer welcome. But as long as HE can respect YOUR place, you'll give him just one more chance.
If he straightens out, FINE , if not, then NUKE 'EM!
Old 12-17-2003, 10:12 PM

captain backstrap remind me to not tick you off ok.
Old 12-18-2003, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fact remains that he's hunting on your land which you have rules on. If he can't abide by them or have enough respect for you and the rules you have set, he's just plainly being selfish and totally disregards you, your land and what you say. In my eyes and if it were my land, he would be gone...no questions asked. Especially that you already told him specifically not to shoot certain animals. Best friend? Not really that I see. Confront him about it and see what he says 1st. If he gets defensive....see ya.
Well said stump My thoughts exactly! See ya....
Old 12-18-2003, 06:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

I tend to agree with the others. Screw up once and I can understand it to some extent. Screw up twice and in such a short time frame and I have to admit that I would explain the situation to him as well as your stance on it and then ask him not to come back for at least the rest of the season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.