Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Young hunters

Old 12-17-2003, 02:12 PM

Default Young hunters

My son who is anticipating going on his first bowhunt in the fall of 2004 keeps asking me if I know how many young kids his age (12) are successful at bowhunting.

Considering I only have 1 twelve year old it is kind of hard for me to give him a percentage of successful young hunters. I keep telling him to chill out and keep practicing. Anyways, per his request I am asking this question on his behalf.To the parents of young hunters and young hunters, what are your experiences with your children while hunting ?

Help me out here, this kids driving me nutz, I have created a monster.

Dave
Old 12-17-2003, 03:42 PM

Default RE: Young hunters

bowhuntererman: my son started at the age of 14. He had no success his 1st. season, not even a shot. I kept telling him that many of us go for years without success. I think the important thing is to make each hunt a father/son experience that you can build upon. Ensure him and try to instill in him that a successful hunt is much more than filling a tag. Also, I would suggest that you try to know your area extremely well. By doing so you will be more capable of placing the young hunter in the honey hole, cat bird seat or whatever term you want to use. Sacrifice your chances for his. Give him every opportunity to get that shot off. Position him so if the hot spots fail he can be posted close to a known bedding area. Proceed from the opposite side of bed, still hunting, very slowly working toward the boy's position. He might just get his chance if some bedded dear finally bust you and head towards him. These are some of the methods and educational curve I developed for my son, Joe. He is now 17 and has 3 bow kills, 2 shotgun kills and sad to say, one lost 6 ptr. that he nailed from 28 yds.. It was a single lunger, and I saw that deer hit the deck 4 separate times from my location. I still can't believe we lost him, but we are sure that he drowned trying to cross over to a dying island he was trying to make. However, I used that as an educational tool. These kids have to know the good, the bad and the ugly. Oh yeah, make sure you let him gut that 1st. score with a few pointers from Ol' Dad. They seem to learn real quick and you can see your boy growing up before your very eyes. Don't dare forget the camera so you may record that once in a lifetime 1st. grin of success. Sorry to ramble but I feel very strongly that hunting is in our hands and we must pass on the skills and attitudes of ethical hunting to them so that they in turn can repeat the process for their children. GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 12-17-2003, 04:19 PM

Default RE: Young hunters

I have been taking him bowhunting occassionally a few times a year. Eventhough he has not taken a bow to field he does sit in a treestand right next to mine. On two occassions I had him actually stand and pretend to draw a bow while deer are within range.

Believe it or not he remembered everything I told him about waiting for the deer to look away, move behind a tree etc etc. This year I had him gut the buck I shot and he did a fine job with a few pointers from me.

The problem I have is he is totally working himself up into a frenzy about being in the woods actually hunting. I believe he is afraid of the ole buck fever sneaking up on him and totally missing a deer. I keep telling him a lot of kids his age are successful hunters and not to worry he will do fine.

Thanks for your insight, I will let him read your response, hopefully this will calm him down a little.)

Dave