Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Black Bear/need help >

Black Bear/need help

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Black Bear/need help

Old 12-17-2003, 11:02 PM

Default RE: Black Bear/need help

And I also forgot to say is make sure you do a double lung shot They will on average run about 20 yards. and if you hear " THE DEATH MOAN" you know for sure he is down for the count. its actually their last gasp of air. but still wait at least 30 min. before going after him. GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!!!

(KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE)
Old 12-18-2003, 08:19 AM

Thanks my friends. I'm still waiting to hear about some authoritative web links, book, videos etc.. If any out there I'd appreciate it. Thanks again.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

btpatriot02 is on the ball, however here in 'Ontario' our spring bear hunt has been cancelled a few years now--UNFORTUNATELY!!
If baiting is allowed in you area, 'donuts' works real well, but you need to be constantly restoring the bait/drum. Ancoring the drum helps to keep the bears in front of you long enough for a clear shot. Sometimes they will take the food and walk off a few yards feed and then return, othertimes they'll sit next to the barrel and feed. Younger bears most times run off of the bait if bigger bears are coming to the pile, most times the younger bears feeds earlier and the bigger boys come in later. Like btpatriot said, dbl/lung shot is important as bears have traveled miles and miles on single lung shots and sometimes never been recovered. STAY AWAY from shooting cubs, worse yet in the company of Mama--otherwise you'll ending up spending a 'sleepless night' in the stand.
Sometimes they're very curious and have even climbed trees occupied by hunters, sniffing to satisfy their curiousity. However this has NOT been something I've personally experienced--not as yet!! Remember to use/wear a headnet, as black flies and mosquitoes are a nuisance and a challenge trying to sit still. Here is a site you can check out, this guy, Jim Shokey has some tremendous experience hunting bear. http://www.jimshockey.com/bear.asp
Old 12-18-2003, 05:42 PM

i know how --

very carefully
Old 12-18-2003, 10:10 PM

JIm I have a vid about hunting black bears and its called BLACK BEAR MANIA made by Video Adventures. If you cannot find it email me at [email protected] and I'll mail it out to you. I actually have a couple of them and I'll give you one if you want it . email me then and I'' mail it out ASAP.

(KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE)