Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Kansas Monster

Old 12-16-2003, 07:49 PM

Default Kansas Monster

Just got back from my lease in Meade County Kansas, and was wondering if anyone here could help me out. While hunting last week I saw the biggest buck of my life. I saw him in a grass field just before dark, and couldn't close the distance in time. Anyway he had two drop tines on each side and I'am guessing he will score in the 180's or 190's. Going back to bowhunt in a couple of weeks. If anyone has any knowledge of this area or tips for late-season whitetails in Kansas I would really appreciate the help. Ever since I seen this deer I can't wait to get back up there and give a shot.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Kansas Monster

blackhatch, I don't know the area that you're hunting, but if I were you, if you don't already have some contacts that are local to the area, I'd start there. By having a contact, or two or three, that live in the area, they would be a good source of info. to you. As far as late season hunting, focus on thier food source. Are there alfalfa fields, picked corn or soybean, or winter wheat? Those are the food sources to focus on in most of Ks., winter wheat bring the first to look at. Then hunt it like early seasson, get between food and bed. Also, if the buck was in a CRP field, that may be his bedding area, so look for him to be hanging around it, and maybe you could do a spot and stalk on him. All of that goes out the wondow if he failed to make it through rifle season! Good luck!!!