Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
400gr minimum in PA? >

400gr minimum in PA?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

400gr minimum in PA?

Old 02-06-2002, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 400gr minimum in PA?

I just overheard some rumers flying around about Pennsylvania putting a 400gr minimum on arrow weight. Whats everyone's thoughts on this?

This is mine:
I think its ridiculous. Whom ever thought this up obviously doesnt know much about archery or arrow penetration and recent test done.
The problem is, there are too many people shooting well under 400gr thinking that speed will make up for everything else. They are taking shots that they arent sure if they can make, and at distances too far for their skill or comfort in hopes of making a clean shot. The result, too many deer being wounded and us ethical bowhunters being flagged for it. I personally know a person like this who is shooting a 310 gr arrow at somewhere in the 60-65lb range. He does everything he can to lighten up and make his rig faster. He wounds a lot of deer. He always tells us how he could never find them.

Just my thoughts
Old 02-06-2002, 03:26 PM

Default RE: 400gr minimum in PA?

Sounds like you guys have alot of issues in PA and some unethical folks. I can see why you guys would hate to introduce crossbows into your bow season.......... Geesh.....your friend or this guy who wounds these deer should not be hunting!!!!!

The outdoors is yours, treat it with RESPECT!!!
Old 02-06-2002, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hope that it stays just that a rumor.

Brian
Old 02-06-2002, 04:38 PM

WOW, that sure would suck for a guy like me shooting 27" draw length with a 26" arrow at 55lbs. 400 grains is pretty hard to achieve without screwing up FOC and everything else that comes with trying to create a heavy 26" arrow for 55lbs. I guess that would rule out any carbon arrows for me in your state.
Old 02-06-2002, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Although I believe this rule would be a good thought, there is virtually no way to enforce it. The guy you said who is hunting with a 310 grain arrow at 60-65 lbs. is a complete idiot. It might shoot faster but not much thump when it hits. Too bad that guy does not know any better.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually Cougar mag they enforce it quite well up here! that law of a minimum arrow weight has been in this state much longer then I have (6yrs and running for me so far).

I agree with making a minium weight but I think instead of a minimum they should make it more like 6-8 grains per pound of draw...think about it, they want to institue a 900 grain arrow weight class up here....anyone shooting less then a 80 or 90lb bow is doing themselves wrong. Take for instance a women or young adult. THere is another prop for a 650 grain arrow..hell my woods arent even that heavy being only 615 grains but yet I am at 11grains per pound of draw for my bow!!! Now take that same women shooting the bare bones minimum draw weight and let them shoot that godzilla arrow...doesnt make sense. I do believe somewhere in the heavy weights that there is a point where diminishing returns results from to much arrow and not enuf bow! Got a partner figure it out for me being he is the bow wizard!

Maybe a minimum of 6 grains per pound of draw would be resonable? Then again what about BIG game..say 9 or 10 grains per pound of draw instead of a minimum arrow weight?

They already carry grain scales and bow scales with them so they can and will be able to figure this out quite easily so that is not an issue....
Old 02-06-2002, 08:05 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-07-2002, 05:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like lilhunter's idea as well. It would also cause less overall fatigue on the bow and bow accessories.

The 400 grain minimum arrow weight rule is ridiculous. It does not restrict what it was intended to because it totally ignores the issue of kinetic energy/penetration. A guy shooting a 27 inch draw length and a 60 lb draw weight isn't going to get the same penetration as a guy with a 30 inch draw length and a 70 lb draw weight if they are both shooting the same 400 grain arrow....
Old 02-07-2002, 06:03 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-07-2002, 06:13 AM
Typical Buck

Well they sure as heck aren't thinking about bringing youngsters into the sport then! To max the efficiency out of a system at 6gn/lb(mfgrs recomendations) a youngster would have to shoot a 67lb bow. Not a very smart rule. Gotta be a rumor only.

Quick Reply: 400gr minimum in PA?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.