Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 mechanical broadheads through mesh windows? >

mechanical broadheads through mesh windows?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

mechanical broadheads through mesh windows?

Old 12-14-2003, 09:01 AM

Default mechanical broadheads through mesh windows?

Hey guys I have a quick question. I just bought a brickhouse tsc ground blind and it has the mesh shoot throught windows. My question is that i shoot shockwave mecanical 100's and is going to effect them when going throught the mesh window. I have talked to some people and they said the the broadheads wouldn't open, but i am still kind of skeptical on that. If any of you guys had any info. that would be great.
Thanks

Tom
Old 12-14-2003, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: mechanical broadheads through mesh windows?

I can't say about the mesh for sure but a few years back I hunted out of a blind that had clear plastic for windows, the kind that you put on in the winter for weather protection, and we just shoot through the plastic and it wouldn't change arrow flight or cause mech heads to open. Set up a target and give it a try, it is the only way to be sure.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:29 AM
Spike

I think the instructions say not to use mechanicals through the mesh.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't shoot any broadhead through the mesh........

Shoot through it at a target, that's the only way to know.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:56 AM

I can't believe anyone would shoot purposly through mesh anyway .... that HAS to have an affect on arrow flight
Old 12-14-2003, 11:21 AM

Zelazny,

Been there , done that, and believe it or not , it really doesn't. If your bow is not properly tuned, improper form, anything that can cause erratic arrow flight, I could see it having an effect, but since it creates slightly more drag on the fletch end, it could have a positive effect. Also, there is a chance the effect, if any , might only show up at long shot distances. But if you are turkey hunting, you should have them in pretty close. My wife wanted to try hunting for the first time last spring on turkeys with a bow, so I bought her a Havoctec. We had several BIG toms in close and numerous jakes. She also killed one of them with a perfect 15 yard shot. I can honestly say in her experience there was no difference in arrow flight. The flip side is it becomes much tougher , especially for her, to draw and shoot without the protection of the screen from the eyes of turkeys. It was a lifesaver for us and the only way to go in my book. We were using a Double Bull t2 , by the way - awesome!! Turkeys in our face!!

As far as the topic goes, I called a guy at Double Bull and he said that mechanicals are not recommended for mesh because of the chance they would open or partially open. I agree with Dave,though - actually give it a try and see. Maybe works with some mechanicals and maybe not with others?? Experience is the best teacher!!
Old 12-14-2003, 11:24 AM

captain - Really ? What else doesn't affect arrow flight ? Tall grass maybe ? Twigs ? Brush ? Arrows are finicky things - they do NOT want to fly straight but do because of the fletching. You probably know an unbalanced head can wreak havoc on accuracy, right ? And shooting your arrows through mesh does nothing ?

I've never done it .. I would think it would though ?
Old 12-14-2003, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

I shot through the ameristep outhouse without any problem using the nap spitfire. hope this helps.
Old 12-14-2003, 04:45 PM

Thanks guys for all of the advice. I'm gonna have to take Daves advice and set up the target and shoot a few through, although i can't see how the broadheads wouldn't open up, anyways thanks again for the advice. Good luck on the rest of your seasons.

Tom
Old 12-15-2003, 07:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think practicing, as you intend, would be your best bet though I personally would not shoot through them as I cannot imagine it not opening the blades.

Quick Reply: mechanical broadheads through mesh windows?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.