Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why do you bowhunt?? >

Why do you bowhunt??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why do you bowhunt??

Old 12-11-2003, 08:11 PM

Default Why do you bowhunt??

I am probably opening up a big can of worms again, BUT, i have read some posts and replys that have got me thinking (always a dangerous thing!!). Anyway, it seems that we have alot of people who, based on what their posts say, consider their hunting experience utterly ruined if something happens that might end their chance to kill that "buck of a lifetime". for example, the game warden asking them to get down to check their license or put on their orange, or the neighbor riding his horse too close to the stand, or somebodys dog coming thru and spooking deer. I will be the first to admit, i have had 2 of the 3 happen to me, along with some other things that would definitely lessen my chances of seeing deer, and yes, it pissed me off! BUT, the entire hunt wasnt ruined. Since when is hunting all about killing a trophy animal and nothing less will satisfy?? Maybe I am just a lousy hunter, but I enjoy being outdoors, watching other wildlife, the solitude, watching a good dog work birds, time with family and freinds who hunt, etc, etc. Sure, I get very excited and have more fun when I am lucky enough nail a nice buck or kill my limit on quail, but if that doesnt happen I still have a good time. I know, alot of people will accuse me of stirring the pot again - thats really not what I am trying to do, I just wondered if anyody else feels the way I do. im not trying to criticize anybodys opinion, just want to know how you guys feel about it. let me know, and everybody have a great Christmas!
Old 12-11-2003, 08:29 PM

Default RE: Why do you bowhunt??

All those good reasons you stated plus I have found it to be the ultimate challenge. Nothing can go wrong, everything must be just perfect if the hunt concludes with the taking of your prey. That is why folks get frustrated by intrusions etc.. It is only a natural reaction by those seeking perfection. I can hunt for days without seeing much but that challenge is always a blink away.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:49 PM

Because I only have access to public land and had a hole slob hunters shoot at me two seperate times because they thought I was a deer, thank god they were lousy shots! I personally find bowhunters pay a little more attention to detail and I don't know any compound hunters who snap shoot. Thats just me though.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

dogdr! I totally agree that just being in the wood's away from all the pressures of work and your daily routine's is enough .But I also love the challenge and having these critter's real close meat to take home or not that's just life .I had a day this season and should have taken a deer on 3 yes 3 different occasion's and I screwed up all 3 time's ,the good thing about this is that being successful or not that day was one of the very best day's I've ever had in the bush .With hunting there are no gaurantee's if your not there you'll not get those chance's and when you put in the time your chance will come ,whether you take that animal home or not that day will be very special in your memory's and story's that you pass on to your friend's and family. as I said before hunting not a gaurantee and that's why it 's called hunting .If you can't share your meat you can share experience .

nubo
Old 12-11-2003, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree dog.

Two thoughts:

One of my stands affords me a view of the hardwoods in at least 300 yards in most directions. Last three times out I've seen no deer. The view alone was worth the three hours a night in that tree. Solitude. God. Nature. The woods. Wow.

Whether it's a big buck or a doe, getting THAT close to a deer takes a lot of doing things right. When things do go right and you're right on top of them and they have no clue you are there, that's intense and very satisfying.

Yes, we hunt to kill deer. To get the "big one". But taking it all in sometimes is rather cool.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some of my best hunts have resulted in me coming home with a great story and never getting to draw my bow.

Getting to your stand in the dark, when everyone else is sleeping, sitting quietly in the stand waiting for daylight and wondering just how big the deer under you is, watching the woods wake up as day breaks, observing God's creation undisturbed, seeing things that non-hunters never see--all of that is good to me. Seeing a huge racked buck working his way towards me will surely increase my pulse rate dramatically though.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Number one reason is that I enjoy being in the outdoors. Number 2 is it is awesome getting that close to wildlife when they have no clue you are even there.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:58 PM

Because it is the polar opposite of work. I absolutely crave getting away for the weekend to bowhunt. I feel like I can bowhunt and be part of the woods. I didn't get that feeling when gun hunting. I guess that's why I have bowhunted the last few gunseasons. A successful bowhunt in my opinion is just seeing deer, no, make that seeing any wildlife besides squirrels or birds a great hunt.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:00 PM

For me it used to be the challenge and just being in nature. But now its just me passing my knowledge and respect for the outdoors on to my son. Just bringing him and watching his excitement makes all the hard work, expensive equipment, and everyday frustrations seem worth it to see him enjoying life!!!!!
Old 12-12-2003, 09:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Because it pisses my wife off.[8D]

Quick Reply: Why do you bowhunt??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.